Chapter Seventeen Re-written

The birds chirped obnoxiously loud in the trees outside. The rain seemed to have stopped now. That was some storm last night. Marlene shifted in her sleep beside me. How she didn't wake up from those damn birds, I'll never know. Well since i can't go back to sleep i might as well get up and get a fire started so we can eat breakfast. I opened up our tent and stepped outside. I immediately sensed that something was wrong. I scouted the camp layout and confirmed that Catrinas tent was in the right place, right where we left her. I looked over to where Jadens tent should be but...it wasn't there. Panic gripped my chest painfully tight. I ran over to where his tent site and and i noticed that some of his packing laid scattered around the camp. 

"What in the world.." I mumbled to myself. I tried to calm my self down by taking deep breaths. It didn't really work. I had to get Marlene. I ran back to our tent and practically dragged her out of the tent.

"David! What is going on?!" She yelled, still in her night shirt, looking highly disoriented from being dragged outside into the light. 

"He's gone! Jaden is gone!" 

Marlene was suddenly wide awake. She looked over to where Jadens tent should be and went pale. She, like myself, ran over to his tent site and frantically looked around for any clues as of where he could be. Marlenes eyes flashed to yellow. She looked at me.

"WHERE IS HE?!" Her inner deep voice surfaced. She was furious. I rushed over to her and held her.

"Marlene! We will find him. You have to calm dow..."

"What is all the commotion about!? Geez, can't a girl get her beauty rest?" Catrina interrupted, coming out from her tent with her hair in every direction. Marlene visibly relaxed a bit. 

"Jaden is gone" I said, trying to keep my calm. Catrina took a deep breath with her nose in the air.

"EW! It smells like wet fur and rotting flesh all over the place." The pinched her nose in disgust. I took a whiff of the air and she was right. I looked down and there were hoof marks all around us. Imprinted into the wet soil. 

"David...Look." Marlene pointed up a nearby tree with a shaking finger. It was pieces of Jadens thrashed tent, stuck on a branch. 

The damaged tent, the smell of wet fur, large hoof marks. It stood frighteningly clear to me what had visited us this stormy night. Daemonium capra. The goat demons. My blood went cold. Marlene looked up at me with a look that could almost read my mind. She had come to the same conclusion that i had.

"I'm sure he's fine. Chill. Look, it looks like he got away." Catrina said boorishly and pointed to footprints running away from the camp and into the woods. A small, relived, smile laid it self on top of my lips but was quickly yanked away. He ran into the dark woods, alone, with those foul things chasing after him. His odds were against him. I had to act quickly. 

"We have to find him!"

"You mean what's left of him" Catrina mumbled. I snapped my eyes into hers and she held back any more remarks. Marlene looked at me.

"Do you think he's alright?" She asked, with tears in her eyes. 

"Of course he is. We'll find him. You'll see" As unconvincing as i sounded i really wanted to believe it. I tried my hardest to convince myself that more than anything right now. 

It was always painful to transform. The bone breaking, the skin tearing. It was not pleasant to say the least but a rushed transformation was even worse. It felt like i was being torn apart limb from limb. I grit my teeth so hard my mouth started to bleed. Then my teeth broke and new sharp fangs grew in it's place. I tore of my human skin that were sticking to my fur like glue. It was not a pretty sight. I stood up on my hind legs and stretched out my body. I could feel my power getting stronger in this form. 

Now throw away the idea that werewolves are just a bigger sized wolf because you couldn't be more wrong. I was actually terrifying to look at. Standing, on hind legs, 4 meters tall with a thick coat of black fur, sharp elongated claws on human like fingers and a wolfs head. And let's not forget the eyes. The blood red eyes that could petrify a man in his steps. I was not handsome or "cute" in my transformed state on the contrary i looked like nightmare fuel. But it didn't matter how i looked just how much stronger i got. Usually werewolves can only transform on a full moon night but in very rare cases, very special and powerful werewolves, could transform at will and i was one of them. That's why Catrina and Marlene would be staying at the campsite while i looked for Jaden. 

"Honey, you must hurry before everyone nearby wakes up. If someone sees you...!" Marlene said with a rushed and worried voice. I nodded towards her and took off into the woods.

I sniffed the air for a scent but the rain had washed away most of it. All i could smell were those disgusting beings. A small scent that's all i needed! Just one small whiff of him. I ran for about 10 minutes before i jerked my head to my left. There, on a tree about 50 meters away from where i was standing, was a piece of bloodied cloth stuck on a tree branch. I picked the cloth up and pressed it to my nose. It was Jadens! Hope began to fill up my chest before it dawned on me that the cloth was covered in blood. He was hurt and i had no idea how badly. I saw a series of footprints around the tree, running away from it. I smelled the footprints and one of them was Jadens. As quickly as i could i followed the scent and footprints deeper into the woods. Be alive Jaden. Please be alive, dad is coming for you.

Tjoho! Hello there! I bet you thought i died or something due to my absence but NO. Just living life no matter how shitty it might be sometimes. I hope i made someone happy by updating again and HEY... Have a wonderful day :* Please leave a comment and vote if you enjoy this book and this chapter and wish to see it updated!