Chapter Thirteen Re-written

The nightmare that haunted me that night were horrid. The frightening creatures from the day before were invading my dreams, grasping after me with those giant claws. I ran and ran but i didn't get anywhere. My body just wouldn't move forward. I didn't have the courage to look behind me because i knew that the creatures were getting closer and closer. I was suddenly jerked out of my dream by a warm and firm hand. Instinctively my hands flew up to protect my head. My eyes flew open and there was a black figure beside my bed. I felt my heart almost jump out of my chest. Like a child, i pulled the covers over my head, hoping that i would wake up from the nightmare.

"Hey little one. It's just me. You don't have to be afraid" a male voice whispered. A warm hand caressed my back slowly.  My tension lessened but wasn't completely gone. I still wouldn't come out from under the covers. It felt safe in here. I felt the weight on the side of the bed lift. Was he leaving?

"If it's going be like that then..."

Suddenly i felt him lifting the covers at my feet. What was he doing? Was he going to drag me out? I clenched my whole body in wait but nothing happened. I opened my eyes only to see that it was Nikolai that had climbed in. He was so close as you possibly can be another person without touching. He had crawled in under the covers with me and now laid beside me.

"...then i'll join you" My heart was beating a mile per minute and my face felt like it was on fire. But i didn't feel any fear. Instead there was a strange feeling that were coming from my stomach. 

"It's quite warm in here is it not?" He asked in a low voice. His warm breath fanned my face when he spoke. I blushed. I didn't have the courage to speak so i just nodded slightly. He had his eyes locked onto mine. He was so close.

"I would never hurt you. In any way. You know, we are very much alike you and I" I highly doubted that. He was strong, beautiful and fearless and i was the complete opposite. I was a coward, weak and ugly. 

"We both have gone through hell and come out alive on the other side." I looked at him confused. He took a deep breath.

"The "Doctor" as he calls himself, the bastard, held me captive too" Nikolai couldn't hold in his disgust and anger as he talked about him. My breathing stopped and my eyes were now wide open. What..? How..How could it be possible? 

"So you see, if anyone understands how you are feeling then it's me." He said and looked me deep in my eyes. I mustered up the courage to speak.

"H..how did you e..escape?" I stuttered in a broken voice. A voice that hadn't been used in a long time. I shyly looked up to meet his eyes and they were shining.

"So you CAN talk. You have such a beautiful voice." He said with a smile. My face went beet red. Nikolai looked down.

"You see the "Doctor" kidnapped me from a playground when i was about 5-6 years old. He lured me away with promises of puppies and candies. Then the next thing i knew i had ended up down in his basement. It was there the truly horrible stuff began to happen. Well I'm sure you know what kind of sick, twisted stuff he was into." 

I looked away. I knew all too well the things he meant. I tried to not think about the memories and continued to listen to his story.

"If we fast forward to when i was about 10  years old. That's when he began to experiment. You see, I can heal wounds very quickly. More so than any human."

He paused his story as if to give me time to digest all the information he was giving me. What did he mean 'more than any human'? He WAS a human... wasn't he? Nicolai continued.

"You see. He wanted my ability for himself. He...did unspeakable things in order to try to extract my ability from me. I won't tell you details on what he did but he was a monster. One night when i was about 15 years old, i remember it being a particular cold day, the "doctor" came to my cell for the usual testing. Only it weren't the usual this time..He had his hand behind his back almost as if he was trying to conceal something. He told me to come but i refused. I was too afraid of what he was going to do to me. He grabbed me by the arm and forced me out into the hall and into his chambers.." 

Nicolai closed his eyes for a moment and had a pained expression on his face. It hurt my heart to see him like that. It hurt even more that i knew exactly what happened when you entered the Doctors chamber and what he must've gone through. Slowly and cautiously i laid my hand onto his. To tell him that it was alright. That he wasn't there anymore. He gave me a faint smile and gently grabbed my hand fully. 

"Well after he had tortured me for a couple of hours he injected me with some sort of blue fluid. I immediately became ill and started to violently shake. I had a seizure and that goddamn monster just stood there documenting... But there was something in that fluid that awoke another side in me. I felt a presence inside my own body that were never there before. It spoke to me. Told me to let go and that It would take over and make it stop. Make the pain stop. Covered in cuts, bruises, blood and being in so much pain, the offer was too good to ignore. So i did. I let the voice inside me take over my body and when i did, everything went white. The next thing i knew i was outside, on the hard pavement, in the pouring rain, naked. I didn't know where i was or how i got there but i didn't care. I was free." 

Nikolai ended his story and looked into my eyes. He had sadness in his eyes. Most likely from going back to the most horrifying time in his life. He suddenly raised his hand and gently brushed my hair from my face. He gave me a weak smile. He looked tired.

"So now you know. The ugly truth." 

"I...i'm glad you t..told me" I said with a faint voice. He smiled and inched closer to my face.

"I'm glad i told you. It's pretty late, you should get some sleep." Nikolai began sitting up as if he were going to leave. No i didn't want that. I grabbed his thick wrist.

"D..Don't leave. Stay." He crawled back in with he biggest smile plastered on his face. He pulled my body closer to his and suddenly gave me a small, gentle kiss on the lips. I blushed intensely and the pit of my stomach was tingling all over. I had never experienced that before. That night was the best sleep i had ever gotten. In my whole life. But there was something else there. Something else besides the butterflies that were flying around in my stomach...Something much darker and more evil that was constantly clawing on my insides. What if one day It ripped me open?

Hey! So yeaaah I'm back again with another update...Better late than never, yeah? Okay I'm sorry I'm so lazy and uninspired but i have other writing projects on the move that hopefully will be surfacing soon :O Please Vote and leave a comment on what you think, what you want to happen etc That helps me keep inspired and makes me so happy. See you next in the next chapter!