19: FAMILY GATHERING

So cliff's pov is up

CLIFF

We'd left the church as soon as the service ended and on getting home, Frank and I went to the basketball court, it wasn't until Zina who had waited for one meeting or the other got back that we left the court.

"Don't tell me you guys have been here for over two overs",Zina questioned trying to feign a shocked expression, we didn't respond but smiled as we all walked to the main house, she hadn't changed from the church wear, this I noticed as she waltzed in front of us throughout the walk.

"Hey guys", Alexia greeted as we got into the house, some laughter lines over her face as I wondered what was funny. Frank and I tossed a glance at each other before Zina broke the silence,"She followed me from church".

"Alexia,how are you doing?"Frank asked moving closer to her as I only smiled sappily at her as I ambled towards my room. I didn't like that Alexia of a girl, she was one of those popular girls in high school then who was famous for her notorious acts, very loose, when we got to college, she'd tried to make me her lover,she was Zina's friend and I'd always wondered why Zina made a strumpet like her her friend. Even now that she was aware of my marriage to Zina,,she still made advances to me, always ogling and giving me lasvicious looks even at the office.

Zina's entrance into the room made me stop condemning Alexia.
"You haven't changed?".I sent her a quick and flashing smile before saying,"I'll get changed now".
"Anyway,your parents are around", she announced as soon as I stepped into the bathroom.
"What!",I yelled running out of the bathroom.
"What's wrong with you?"she questioned through an anxious face.

"Hope there are no traces? what of Frank?"I asked gazing at her.
"Yeah,luckily Frank had gotten out of the room before your mom walked in".
"Good",I clapped going back into the bathroom.
Whenever my parents visited, mum always made sure she entered Zina's room to make sure we were sleeping together like couples,she always made sure we were behaving like loving couples. Little did she know what was actually going on.

When I finally stepped into the living room, different eyes greeted me as Zina's parents had already arrived.Certainly, mother would have been the one who invited them, she'd always done this whenever she was visiting and had always dragged Dad along,,she loved having everyone around to show how perfect and beautiful our big family was. After swapping greetings,Zina walked into the living room.

"Why are you always here?",Mom questioned Frank who glanced at me, Zina found a seat beside me. As soon as his opened his mouth to talk, I stopped him by saying,"Mom it's just a coincidence, I invited him home from church, we played basketball together",I grinned at her as Frank smiled at me giving me a thumbs up.

"That's right, when Zina and I got back from church, Zina had to call them from the basketball court", she added while I batted my eyelashes, why did that lousy thing put her stupid mouth in the matter?

Mom only acknowledged her word before facing Zina's mom, soon they engaged in a discussion. Realising the fathers were also engrossed in another talk, Alexia left the living room to join Zina and the cook in the kitchen.

Frank and I decided to talk through the phone, Whatsapp to be precise, we had to up our games before mother caught us and if we were caught, it would be extremely devastating,I don't think we could ever be forgiven. Zina would be extrenely furious.

Frank:so I've noticed the way you do look at that Priss,do you kinda like her?

Gosh!I've been avoiding this question and yeah,I liked her ,I really had strong feelings for her but I wasn't ready to accept, I wasn't ready for any relationship again, no time for heartbreaks or mending of heart,after what Zuleha had taught me.

Me:NO!why would I?

Frank:I dunno,maybe there's something attracting her to you,she's a very pretty girl you know and she's kind of weird.

Yeah,she's weird and I find it attractive, I smiled at the thought.
The buzz from my phone stopped me from smiling.

Frank:I can clearly see you are smiling and I'm certain it's because of Priss,you really love this girl😜😜

Love? that is a very strong word.

Me:Cut it off guy,I don't love her okay?

Frank:You'd better stop pretending,you know you can't hide the fact that you have feelings for her,you are obvious.

What?Is it that obvious?

Me:Am I really obvious?

Frank:😜Just kidding whereas I confirmed you like her

Me:😏😏You are not okay?I can't like her 'cause I have a wife.

Frank:lol,wife my foot

Me:okay,I really don't have time for any kind of relationship not after what Zuleha did.

Frank:lol,so because of that useless Zuleha you've decide to shut your heart.

I nodded and looked up to see Frank smiling at me.

Me:I'm not yet ready for that.

Frank:You'll regret it oo

"Regret what?", I heard mum's voice ask and I knew I was dead. Mum musn't find out we were talking about a lady other than Zina. Looking up to search for an answer in Frank's eyes, I realised he had vanished, same thing Zina and I wondered when all that happened. I hope they weren't together doing what could implicate us mostly especially with mom who was a rat being present.

"Nothing",I responded smiling fakely as I dropped my phone on the chair slipping it.
Mum gave me a suspicious look before saying,"If you say so but I hope it's something that will not tarnish the image of this family".

You're really wrong,if I should do it and take to Frank's advice, it would surely tarnish the image of this family, it would destroy all that we'd tried keeping and would surely get mom extremely mad, she would go apoplectic.

"Sure",I said with a bored look.
"Okay,everyone is waiting for you at the dining",Mom announced walking away.
So that was why Frank and Zina were no where to be found, they were at the dining and were not doing something I feared most.

I noticed I haven't written about cliff's family,so here it is.
What do you think they are hiding?
Remember to vote and share with your friends.Goodnight.Love y'all.