15: FIRST DAY AT WORK

So guys,sorry I haven't updated in a while,I was extremely busy with work and I only had little time for myself.So this is it now

PRISS

Pit-a-pat.
That was the sound of my heart when recognition caught me, the man that walked in was the rude guy that bumped into me, two days ago.
He didn't notice the disgusting look I was giving him,not until it was time for our introduction.

"Oluwatenola Arogundade, but I'll prefer you calling me Tenola, I'm a graphic designer", a thunder of claps followed her words as she sat down gently beside me.
My turn.

Standing up gently and taking a glance at everyone in the room, I think they were up to thirty or more than with almost everyone being black and mostly Nigerians ,few whites. The owner of MODUSOIL would actually be a generous man.

Clearing my throat, the throat that needn't be cleared, I made myself known by saying,"Priscilla Adenodi, you can call me Priss,Copywriter",Upon mentioning "Priss", I noticed the rude guy flinched, being all eyes on me till I showed my hate.

But that didn't deter him as he kept staring at me like I was his cherished possession, my eyes met his several times and all I did was roll my eyes, I was getting uncomfortable and I could make it known to him if he doesn't take his eyes off me.

The clap repeated itself again, soon others started introducing themselves. The rude guy's turn, he was actually the last person that spoke.

"Clifford Adeoye, the art director and the heir to this company",he had a fine American accent, I pursed my lips when he mentioned being the heir ,why did he have to say that? was he trying to impress us or what? and then my hiss caught everyone's attention and also cut his speech short, noticing all eyes were plugged on me and with Tenola dabbing my laps, the one with the scar Feyikemi had given me, I had two scars on my body,at the back and on my laps and I seriously hate seeing them, my eyes met Tenola's who gave me a questioning look and I realised my mistakes, I'd hissed loudly like a breed of snake.

Standing up to express my apology for the malfeasance in the conference room, I genuflected and averred my apology loudly. The meeting soon ended and everyone were dismissed. While Tenola and I got into the bank of elevators, the rude guy,yes,Clifford is his name, he couldn't be the one, Clifford isn't as rude as this one, though he's also living in Islandia but he possibly can't be the only one with that name, Cliff had never mention he was an art director working in his dad's company.

My train of thoughts was cut short when the door slid shut and the elevator started downwards.
" Sorry for what happened that day", Cliff said to me and I wondered if he was a senile patient, did he just realise he was wrong?
"No worries",I replied quickly, he said some other things but I didn't care, all his words were just as boring as watching a paint dry.

******************
CLIFF

My mind went back to when she mentiomed her name, could she be the Priss I know?Priss never mentioned she was in Islandia, though I'd been writing to her and she hadn't been replying, heaven knows what was wrong with her but could she possibly be the one? .

Again, my curiosity has been filled as I found out she was the lady I saw in dad's company in Nigeria, the one that had insulted me because I'd shouted at the M.D. No one had ever confronted me like the way she did and I must say I was really angry that day but she'd left a lasting impression on me. But then she didn't recognise me or was she pretending?

Frank's entrance into my office disturbed my thoughts.
"What's going on?", he questioned giving me a long, slow stare from under curled, black eyelashes, one I was always jealous of , he had the perfect eyes that always attracted girls to him,black and shining with the perfect build.
"Nothing much".

Frank didn't even allow my response to breath before saying,"What do you mean? you look as serious as hell when I came in"

"'kay,you know the new copywriter, she was the one I bumped into on saturday when we went to the mall and I didn't apologise...",Frank cut me off midsentence "So,she's the one you've been fantasizing about", he teased and I tried to frown at him but ended up smiling.
"You need to see yourself,so is that why you are bothered?".

My smile disappeared as I spoke,
"No, she has the same name as my penpal,the one in Nigeria ,I told you about her and she's the girl that insulted me at dad's company back in Nigeria last month"

Frank smiled sheepishly.
" Oh!that girl,the one you weren't able to say anything to after she insulted you", I smirked before he continued," So now you think she's your pen pal? she can't possibly be the one, she'll tell you if she was coming to New York and whereas did she tell you she's a copywriter?"
"No, she didn't".Frank clapped.
"Well,I think you're just imagining things and getting yourself confused".

I nodded in agreement and tried to smile.
"Dude, she isn't the one okay?, anyway we'll be having a welcome party tonight".
Giving Frank a sidelong look, I uttered,"You mean there'll be a welcome party for them".
Frank replied rather too quick as if he was only waiting for me to finish the sentence.
"Yes, the creative team has agreed on it and we'll be going to TGI".

TGI Fridays was trouble.

************
Actually, I didn't want to attend the welcome party but Frank made sure I was present.
The welcome party was somehow bubbly and interesting as I could notice the other lady called Tenola was really social, she was moving around and was really excited, Priss on the other hand just sat like a naive baby looking at others with a smile,gosh! her smile was beautiful and charming, why was I getting attracted to everything about this lady?

We later went to a nearby club. When the karaoke started, my mind went back to my life with Zuleha, this was where I first met her,she was engaging in the Karaoke and was really entertained by it ,suddenly my mind went blank and all I did was drink, I drank to stupor.
Frank was extremely pissed off seeing I was as pissed as a newt, he believed I was over this nonsense maybe that was why he forced me to come .

On the whole, I had gotten over it through Frank and Zina's help but my presence at the club and especially at the scene I first met her brought back the wound.
Frank had to drive me home in my drunken state.
Could I ever be over it?

How was it?Hope you enjoyed this chapter?The story is progressing little by little.
Why did you think Cliff got drunk?
Who is this Zuleha?
Anyway don't be a silent reader.Vote,comment and share with your friends