Thirty

"Is this the right address?" Harper questioned, staring over at the nice little house. It was cute, in a quiet neighbourhood but something about it didn't fit well with who her sister was.
Therese doesn't kick it with the lower class, so the address of this Waverly person came as a shock.

"Yeah, Lincoln said it's where she lives. The address is registered under a Mary Adams, and Mary is a relative of hers I think he said."

"Okay," She nodded.

In less than ten minutes she would be finding out the entire relationship between this mystery person that had visited her sister. In her mind, she was thinking that maybe it was another one of her stooges, wasn't unlikely judging from Therese's nature, but she needed to be certain.

"Were you able to get anything else about her?"

"Just that her name's Waverly and she lives here. Lincoln couldn't exactly find much stuff about her, which is strange."
Ryn replied, still gripping the steering wheel looking out beyond the houses.

"Maybe it's an alias, quite like how Therese was known as Fiona to that poor girl she almost killed. What's her name again?"

"Sofia," Ryn retorted without missing a beat.

"Right," Harper narrowed her gaze at her.

"What?"

"Nothing. I just want to get this day over with, so can we please go?" She questioned. Ryn understood her request and started to exit the vehicle. Harper did the same, crossing the street to the other side just a few steps behind her.

Quietly they walked over to the property, going up the stairs on the front porch. With Harper right by her side, Ryn knocked on the door a few times before waiting. The sound of someone shuffling around inside notified both girls that someone was home.

"I'll be there in a second," A much older sounding woman yelled back at them.
A dog started barking which drew both girls to study each other.

Some seconds after locks could be heard being fiddled with and then the door swing open a little. A woman with an almost grey head of hair appeared.
She seemed about her mid-sixties with a somewhat familiar face to Harper.

"Hello, how can I help you?"

"Hi, sorry to be a bother but we were just wondering if by any chance you could be able to tell us if a Waverly Donovan lives here?" Ryn did the talking and she watched as the woman visibly tensed.

"Who are you two?"

"I'm Ryn Bates, and this my colleague Harper Neil, we're private investigators." Ryn lied and the words caused Harper to stare a little perplexed at the floor but didn't mention anything.

"Private investigators, what are you doing here, had Waverly done something?" Mary asked very much affected by learning of their occupation. Harper felt a bit of guilt because of the way the woman was troubled but knew Ryn was protecting their real purpose from the lady.
Probably if she had known truly why they were there, she might have been a little hostile to talk.

"Nothing in particular ma'am, we would just like to talk to her concerning someone she's acquainted with."

"O-okay, are you here to arrest her?"

"No ma'am I assure you we're not. We just need to ask her a few questions."

"Alright," Mary replied still terrified but excused herself to go find the mystery girl. She'd locked the door from the inside and left among themselves were Ryn and Harper.

"You scared her Ryn," Harper voiced her observation and besides her, Ryn shrugged.

"If I'd told her why we were really here she would've lied to us."

"I know but geesh, tone it down a little before you give her a heart attack."

"She's fine. I can promise you that, but that girl not so much."

They were busy whispering to themselves when they heard more footsteps coming towards the door again. Neither girl had any idea what to expect as they waited for the door to part. Harper, however, was hoping that this girl would maybe just be a friend and that's it.

The concept of her being the reason Therese had been able to escape made her edgy and her palms started sweating like crazy.

"Just relax, I'll do the talking," Ryn slipped after observing how unsettled the redhead next to her was.

Then the door opened.

To greet them again was the older woman, but beside her was a taller leaner looking girl, with hair the same shade of red as Harper's. Both girls standing outside on the porch frowned at the sight of her.
Harper was a little shocked at the girl's appearance because in a few ways she sorta looked like her.

"These are the two ladies I told you about, they said that they need to question you on someone you've been hanging around and I hope it's not anything serious."

"It's fine, we just have a few questions to ask her." Ryn butted in while Harper couldn't quite figure out what was going on.

"I don't know anything," Said the girl and the older woman next to her frowned.

"They haven't even asked you anything yet and you're already denying it."
The girl snapped her mouth shut and gazed upon the women in from of her.
Her eyes had taken its place to Harper from the moment she saw them.
She had the same coloured hair as hers and a few things did remind her of herself, but the woman was shorter.

"Can we speak to her in private?"

"Why?"

"She might be more comfortable talking to us without you standing next to her, being angry," Ryn explained.
Mary wasn't having it at first but she soon realized it was no use fighting that observation.

"Okay."

She gave the girl a stern look before moving away from the door. Waverly shut the door behind her and stepped unto the porch with Ryn and Harper.
They stood very close to her and it's then Ryn saw the uncanny resemblance between her and Harper.
Without further delay, Harper was the one to ask the question.

"Are you aware of a woman by the name of Therese Vos?" Waverly visibly tensed and both girls saw it. Her throat had started wobbling up and down and she seemed scared.

"I don't know who you're talking about."

"There's no use in lying, we already know you visited her in prison this past week. We just want to know how is it that you're connected to her." Ryn chimed. Waverly licked her lips nervously and dug her hands into the pockets of her grey hoodie.

"How do you know that?"

"A few officers came to my office today, questioning me in regards to her and they made mention of you visiting her this past week. They may come looking for you to question as well because Therese escaped from prison and they suspect that one of us could be helping her."

"What!" Waverly was confused, her brows knitted together.

"Yeah, she escaped from prison last night."

"H-how?"

"There was a riot inside but someone was also there to help her getaway."

"That's crazy, how could they let her escape that place?"

"We don't know." Answered Ryn.

"Who are you to her anyway?" Waverly nodded towards Harper.

"We're sisters," Harper said and Waverly's jaw dropped.

"That's impossible, Therese doesn't have a sister. If she did she would've told me." She stressed, shaking her head at Harper.

"Believe me when I say that neither of us is as forthcoming about our relation to people. You're now a part of the small handful of people that knows she's my sister."

"Again, that's crazy. I'm telling you Therese would've told me about you."

"I doubt it but since you've mentioned that it must mean that you're important to her too. What are you her little girlfriend or something?" Harper questioned, not putting the idea past her sister to be sleeping with a much, much younger girl.

"Fuck, no. I'm not her girlfriend, I'm her daughter. Therese is my mom."