SIXTY TWO

"You threw Pepper on the fire

"You threw Pepper on the fire."

----------

"Wow, this girl's good." Joey glanced down at me.

"Oh, yeah, a song with rhyming words—never heard that before." Phoebe replied saltily.

"I like her." Chandler announced.

"'Cause she can sing and play the guitar and do both at the same time?" She glanced up at him.

"That's pretty much all I'm looking for from these people." He quieted down a bit.

"Look at you all jealous." Monica pat her knee.

"Yeah, Pheebs. Come on. You two have completely different styles, you know? She's more..." Ross pumped his fists a couple of times. "You know, and...you're more..." He backed down when Phoebe glared at him.

"Phoebe, you have got nothing to worry about. I love your songs." I kissed her cheek. The new girl finished her song, and everyone clapped for here. All except for Phoebe.

"See? See? Everybody else is happy she's done." She sat up.

"My next song is called 'Phoebe Buffay, what can I say? I really loved when we were singing partners, and I shouldn't have left you that way'." We looked over at Phoebe in shock.

"Oh, no. One of those 'look for the hidden meaning' songs." She rolled her eyes. After her songs, the singer, who was also Phoebe's ex–partner, came over to us.

"Hey, Phoebe." She greeted our friend.

"Leslie." Phoebe acknowledged her. "How'd you know I'd be here?" She glanced over at Leslie.

"I ran into Vlad at the place where they sell the big fish. He said you played here a lot, so, um..." She trailed off.

"Phoebe tells us you write jingles." I smiled at Leslie politely.

"Actually, I said she abandoned me to write jingles." Phoebe corrected me.

"Uh, anything we might have heard of?" Joey spoke up.

"Yeah, um..." She sang a popular commercial's jingle, and the rest of us expect Phoebe sang the ending with Leslie. "But I don't do that one anymore. I got kind of sick of it, and then I couldn't come up with anything good, so they fired me." She crossed her arms over her chest.

"Bummer." Phoebe humphed.

"Well, uh, you know, I was just...um, I was just thinking and just hoping that...maybe you'd want to get back together." She squatted next to Phoebe by the couch.

"No, but thanks." Phoebe declined.

"Come on, Phoebe, would you just think about it?" Leslie pleaded.

"Okay." Phoebe paused for a moment. "No, but thanks." She didn't change her mind.

"Okay. Uh..." Leslie stood up. "See you, Pheebs." And she walked away.