FIFTY EIGHT

"Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas!"

----------

"I don't know." Chandler shook his head. "As old as he is in dog years, do you think Snoopy should still be allowed to fly this thing?" He showed me and Rachel the comics on the newspaper. We raised our eyebrows at him.

"Rachel, you remember when you first came here, how you spent two weeks getting trained by another waitress?" Gunther came over to us.

"Sure. Do you need me to train somebody new?" Rachel offered.

"Good one." He chuckled. "Actually, Terry wants you to take the training again." He corrected her. "Whenever." He added before walking away.

"Do you two believe that?" She scoffed. Chandler and I pretended to agree, but we didn't know what else to say.

"Yeah." He and I said and nodded our heads at the same time.

"You broke a little girl's leg?" I exclaimed in shock.

"I know. I feel horrible, okay?" Ross groaned.

"Says here that a muppet got whacked on Sesame Street last night." Chandler pretended to read from the newspaper. "Where exactly were you around ten–ish?"

"Well, I'm going to go see her, okay?" Ross reassured us. "I want to bring her something. What do you think she'd like?" He glanced at the rest of us.

"Maybe a 'Hello, Kitty' doll, the ability to walk." Monica suggested. Rachel laughed but stopped when Ross glanced up at her.

"I'm going to get back to retraining." Rachel cleared her throat and walked up to the counter.

"Alright. See you, guys." Ross got up from the couch.

"Look out, kids. He's coming." Chandler continued with the teasing.

"I got to go sell some Christmas trees." Joey stood up from the arm chair, checking his watch.

"Have fun." Phoebe was about to take a sip of her coffee. "Oh, wait! No, don't." She pointed at him. "I forgot. I am totally against that now." She corrected herself.

"What? Me having a job?" Joey slipped on his jacket.

"No. I am against innocent trees being cut down in their prime, and their corpses grotesquely dressed in, like, tinsel and twinkly lights." She grimaced. "Hey, how do you sleep at night?"

"Pretty well. I'm tired from lugging the trees around, but Suparna and I cuddle." He smiled at me lovingly. "Hey, Phoebe, listen. You got this all wrong." He leaned against the edge of the couch. "Those trees were born to be Christmas trees. They're fulfilling their life purpose by making people happy." He explained to her.

"Really?" Phoebe glanced back at me, Monica, and Chandler. Joey motioned for us to agree.

"Yes." Chandler spoke up. "Yes, and, uh...the trees are happy, too. Because for most of them, it's their only chance to see New York." He went along with it. Later that night, Phoebe and I decided to visit Joey at work.