Chapter Six- Bellamy

She was real. He had been stood in front of the antique shop he’d seen on Google maps and he was sure she had been staring at him from across the road, but when he had turned around to look she had been gone. 

This town was amazing, and this dream surreal. Everything felt real, he could touch things, smell things and taste food as though it was actually there. He had been able to walk into a supermarket and taste everything he could lay his hands on.

The girl was the only other living person he’d seen. Usually his dreams were of vibrant towns and cities where he could interact with its occupants and watch animals in their natural habitats. This place, this dream, it was empty- devoid of all life -or so he had thought.

Perhaps he had subconsciously emptied the town apart from her because he had wanted to meet her so badly, talk to a child who obviously hadn’t fitted into her society like himself...  But the young girl wasn’t young anymore. Around 20 if he had to guess, she was wearing shorts and a flowery top- something he’d only ever seen in his dreams- but this was a dream- he had to remind himself.

Why then did it feel so real?

She was frozen in place, wide eyed as though he had just grown an extra head in front of her. He looked down at himself, suddenly embarrassed as he realised he was only in his pyjama bottoms- usually in his dreams he would be wearing whatever was fashionable at the time. 

He looked back at her- her eyes still transfixed on him. 

“Hello” he said shuffling his feet awkwardly beneath him

“Hi” she said snapping out of her daze, knocking the breath out of his lungs. God she was beautiful when she smiled. 

She most definitely wasn’t the young girl anymore- she was tall and leggy, with blonde hair and pale skin. Jesus. He’d dreamt up his perfect girl. Great. His brain was obviously trying to tell him something. 

“Where am i?” he asked, the towns name had been missing from the data file and he was very curious to see what name his brain would make up for this magical place.

“Howden, or at least its dream version.” She replied watching for his reaction carefully. Perfect dream girl had acknowledged that this was in fact his dream then that had never happened before. And Howden? He’d never heard that name before, perhaps his brain had just made it up, and he’d have to check when he woke up. 

“Why are there no other people here?” he asked. If he was talking to his subconscious, he may as well try to get some answers. 

“It’s always been that way” she smiled again, her eyes still intently fixed on his own as though she was scared to blink or something. 

“Always?” he was confused “This is the first time I’ve come here.”

She laughed, her eyes lighting up. His heart beat faltered as he took in the musical sound. 

“I’ve been coming here since I can remember.” She said, walking a little closer to him so they were now stood within an arm’s reach of each other. 

Now he was really confused. She was a figment of his imagination- how could she have been here before when he’d only learnt about this place that day. 

Tentatively she brought her hand up and placed it on his chest, her hand was warm and soft and he wanted nothing more to place his own on top and keep it on him forever, but before he could react she pulled away as though touching him had burned her. 

“You’re real” she breathed, dumbstruck. 

“Of course I am” he laughed while rubbing his forehead- seriously brain? What kind of tricks are you playing on me?

Her brows furrowed and she shook her head “You’re in my dream-“she started

“-No, you’re in mine” he butted in.

She rolled her eyes. Seriously? What the hell is going on?

“I have been dreaming of my town all my life- and this is the first time I’ve ever seen you. I’m debating whether or not you’re a figment of my imagination or not.” She laughed again

HE was a figment of HER imagination? 

“I’m Pippa” she said offering her hand after he didn’t reply to her comment. 

“Bellamy.” He shook her hand, relishing in how soft her skin was. 

“Well Bellamy, I have a five hours until I have to wake up, can I show you around?” she gestured towards the path that lead to the town.

He nodded his head- a tour would be great, this girl- Pippa- apparently knew things about this place he didn’t. Whether she was real or a figment of his imagination he knew he didn’t want to lose her company anytime soon.