Chapter Thirty Nine- Pippa

Thursday, 17th of September.

I am bored.

So bored.

When will the rain stop?

When will I be able to escape from the hole of hell that is this house?

Pippa scribbled lazily in her notebook as she laid on her bed. To say she was fed up was an understatement.

She had spent the day avoiding her parents at all cost, their mere presence annoying her. She knew it was unfair, but if they made her play Jinn Rummy one more time she would stand outside in the torrential rain and thunder with a metal rod.

Luckily she had the sanctuary of her bedroom. Although she had had to resort to using her imagination to fill her time. The power was down. There was no internet, no lights, no heating. It was like she had travelled in time to the dark ages.

The arrival of hot chocolate with mini marshmallows and whipped cream soon brought her back to the present day as her opened her bedroom door and stuck his hand through.

"I come in peace." He chuckled from behind the door.

Jumping up from her bed, she clutched the hot chocolate as though it was the last mug she would ever have.

"Does that mean I can come in?" He asked, his hand still the only part that had entered her room.

"I will think about it." Pippa said, smiling as she sipped on the scalding liquid.

"Will bribe be enough?" Her dad asked, his hand disappearing for a second before emerging with a bowl of ice cream piled high with servings for at least four people.

"Definitely!" Pippa laughed, swinging the door open to let him in. "Thanks dad!"

"Don't thank me, thank your mum. She didn't want the ice-cream to go to waste now the freezer isn't working. I think there are about three different flavors here." Her dad said, producing two spoons and pulling her desk chair forward so they could tuck into the ice cream together.

"Ah! Brain Freeze!" Pippa gasped as she shoveled a large scoop of mint chocolate chip into her mouth.

"Amateur." Her dad scoffed, taking an equally large mouthful of ice cream. "Wow. That's really quite cold isn't it." He gasped, nursing his jaw as he too succumbed to the woes of brain freeze.

They continued shoveling the ice cream into their mouths until the bowl was empty and very nearly licked clean.

"I know these past few days have been really boring for you, but the news on the radio is that this is the worst of it passing now. There should be sunshine in the next few days." Her dad said.

Pippa sighed in relief, shuddering as a roll of thunder passed directly over the house. "That is great news, can't wait until I can actually tell whether it is day or night again. The dark skies aren't great are they?" She mused.

"I know you must be eager to get back out to the shops are get the rest of the things you want for uni. I know you went with mum, but I'll take you next time- we can get the actually important stuff." Her dad said, smiling coyly.

Pippa laughed. "Important things? What's that then?"

"Oh you know, a few boxes of snacks for under your bed, maybe a car." He replied brazenly.

"What?!" Pippa leaped up off her bed so she was standing over her dad, waiting for his reply.

"Well, me and your mother have been talking, and I think it's about time you had your own little run about. You passed your theory a few months back and we never got around to getting you lessons. Your mum thinks booking them so you have them here is a great way to get you to come home every weekend!" He replied.