Chapter Eighteen- Bellamy

Gone was the warmth curled up by his side, instead replaced by the cool autonomic filtered air that flowed through his room. Bellamy blinked up at the sterile white ceiling, his arms laying limp by his side. Another day to get through until he could return to her. The only person in existence- through all of space and time- who could make him forget his troubles and be truly happy.

'Good Morning Sir. The time is 7:48, the date is Sunday 6th of September.' Giles's voice said, the machines that made up buzzing into life as his own body began to awaken.

A Sunday. A day to himself.

Perhaps the library then back to watch a film... he pondered ways to fill his day.

Slipping out of bed, it retracted into the wall. Lazily he stepped out of his pyjamas, sending them down the shoot. His 'off work' day clothes sliding forward from the wall.

It was not usual to give his clothing a second glance, but that is what he did. The clothes, blue and uncharacteristic by design left him longing for the clothes of the old world. Shaking the notion out of his head, because he knew the only way to get clothes like that here was to join the high society, he stepped into the bathing room.

The doors on either side of the walls closed together, sealing shut. The floor tilting ever so slightly as to let the water drain from the floor. Jets of water flew from all sides of the room, hammering down on his body. First they were hard, the water warm, exfoliating the skin. Then the water changed colour, turning pale purple as soapy suds began to rise around his ankles. The water entered its final stage, the cold freshly filtered liquid washing the soap from his skin. As the water drained away to be recycled, blasts of warm air circled the room, drying every inch of skin.

The doors hissed as the lock was released. Stepping out, Bellamy slipped on his day clothes and typed in his order for breakfast.

"Giles, can you give me a population number for the library today please?" He asked, taking his toast and tea from the kitchen hatch.

'There are currently 15,894 people in the library at this moment.'

He winced. The library was a popular place to be it seemed.

Just as he was about to utter the words that would get Giles to call him a car, the sound that Bellamy most dreaded rang through his room.

Deflated, Bellamy waved his hand and out of the wall appeared a chair. Sitting down he held his head in his hands.

The sound had been an incoming signal from a private car, telling him that someone had asked for his address and was currently on their way.

The only person in this entire city that had ever visited him was his mother.

There goes my day. He sighed, slouching down into the chair.

"Giles, how long until the car arrives?" He asked aloud, wondering whether he had time to abandon this place and call a car of his own.

'E.T.A. one minute.'

No chance.

Looking around his small room, Bellamy began to ready himself for the conversation that was to come.

A shrill 'ding' and sharp rap on his door bringing with it the inevitable.

"Open the door." Standing, the chair slid back into the wall as the door opened, his mother stood on the other side. Lips pursed together displeasingly, her arms wrapped around her as though protecting herself. She looked around warily.

Bellamy stepped to the side, his mother scurrying in quickly, brushing invisible dust off her clothing. Bellamy looked out of the door, seeing if there was anything that had particularly made her nervous. The hall was empty.