Chapter Forty One- Pippa

The constant thrum of wind and rain on the windows of her house had driven her insane. Lock her up in an asylum insane and throw away the key. 

Her head was pounding to the same never-ending beat of rain. Even though the heating was off because there was still no electricity, she was laid on her bed in just a pair of shorts and a vest top.

"How you doing?" Her mum said, coming into her room with a glass of water.

"Boiling." Pippa muttered back miserably, gladly taking the water, chugging it down.

"You must be coming down with something." Her mum touched her sweaty forehead, concerned.

"I'll be fine, mum." Pippa replied, trying to reassure her.

"Hmm... well promise you will call me if you feel worse? I hate to think of you are poorly with the weather as bad as it is."

"Promise." Pippa sighed, laying back down on her bed, feeling exhausted from sitting up for the past minute.

"Ok, I'll leave you to rest." With a kiss to her forehead, she left the room.

Falling back into the darkness and silence of the world around her Pippa began to fall asleep.

She awoke groggily, looking around it took her a moment to realise she was in her dream world. It was just as dark and with just as much rain. She curled back up in bed, fed up and annoyed, she couldn't even escape the rain in her dream. Her eyes shut again, and opened in reality. It felt as though she was on the worst rollercoaster in the world, her eyes rolling back as she closed her eyes and woke back up in her dream.

"Pippa!" Bellamy's voice grounded her, forcing her eyes open.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, confused. It wasn't bedtime yet, not at least for a few hours. Or had she been asleep, not dreaming? Had the time gone so fast?

"Don't worry, you're not going crazy." Bellamy chuckled, stroking back her hair from her face. "I fell asleep early too, had a feeling I had to come and see you."

"A feeling?" Pippa said, raising her eyebrow questioningly.

"Yes." He gazed down at her, and it was impossible to miss the sadness in his eyes.

"You are sad." Pippa whispered, feeling her already limited energy levels begin to disappear as her body grew heavier into her bed.

"Yes." Bellamy cracked a smile, no longer trying to hide his sorrow.

"Why?" Pippa asked, reaching up to caress his cheek.

"Because I have to say goodbye." Bellamy replied, choking out the words as though he had to force them out of his mouth.

Pippa's heart stood still for a moment as she realised what he said.

"What do you mean?" She said, attempting to sit up in bed.

"Hush." Bellamy replied, helping her to lay back down. "I'm not going to see you again, Pippa."

"I don't understand." She replied, watching as tears began to roll down his beautiful face.

She watched as he raised a hand to his cheek to feel the wetness that now covered them, staring at his hand in shock before turning back to her.

"I've never cried before." He said, smiling down at her. "I had always felt numb before I met you. Your incredible, you know that?"

"Bellamy, you're scaring me!" Pippa said, watching him intently.

He took a deep breath, before meeting her gaze. "You are going to disappear, tonight, tomorrow, I don't know. What I do know is that no one will be able to find you, and in seven years' time you will be pronounced legally dead. I'm so sorry Pippa... I'm so sorry." He collapsed into her lap, sobbing.

"What?" She stilled, her mind whirring at his words. "How long have you known? Why are you only telling me now?"

"I thought it was a plot by my mother, to make me go crazy. It would be something she would do, just to spite me of the little happiness I had finally found. But it was true. I'm so sorry Pippa." He said, grasping her hand as though she was about to disappear right in front of his eyes.

Pippa had run out of energy to fight back his words, to argue with him that he was wrong. So wrong. She wasn't going anywhere. She would be right here in the morning waking up as usual. Going about her life as normal. But she couldn't.

"Pippa? Stay with me! Please don't wake up! Not yet!" Bellamy shouted, shaking her.

She hadn't realised that her eyes had grown heavy and had begun to shut of their own accord.

"I'm so tired, Bellamy... and scared." She clutched his hand. "What's happening to me?"

"I don't know. I'm sorry Pippa. I should have told you as soon as I knew... forgive me, please!?"

Pippa looked around her room, taking it in. Childhood trophies, dusty on their shelves. Books piled up on the floor next to her overflowing bookcase. Photos scattered across her wall. Memories. Smiling faces.

"I'm not going to see my family again. I'm never going to be able to tell them that I love them..." She looked up at a quietly crying Bellamy. "I can feel it. The energy leaving my body."

"Forgive me... Please!" Bellamy whispered, beginning to shake. "I love you."

His grip on her hand growing numb as the world began to fall away from her.

She watched the world spin in slow motion, light filling her vision, Bellamy jumping up, holding onto her, shaking her, shouting at her.

But she felt nothing. Heard nothing. Then saw nothing.