Chapter 82

“I-It’s gone…!?” you whispered in shock, mostly to yourself.

“Riku,” Wasurete sighed in irritation. “When he hugged you, he must’ve taken it.”

“I had a vision a little while ago,” Touya spoke up. “Akinori… he’s…”

“What?” you ran up to the brunette swallowing nervously at his countenance. “W-Where is he?”

“He’s…,” the teen bit his lip. “[Name] he’s gone.”

“…What did you say?” you whispered, eyes wide.

“Ryuushin…Dipped the key in mako. If something like that is in there for too long, it’ll repel the power against itself. Meaning—”

“The power’s gone,” Vincent murmured. “In this case, Akinori has moved into the Farplane.”

“B-But,” you shook your head, on the verge of tears. “That CAN’T be true! Akinori, he—,” you growled, frustrated. “He would’ve known what was happening!”

“He’s a kudan!” Stella scoffed. “You think just because he can transform into a human he has the knowledge and capabilities of one still? Get real [Name]!”

“He’s not gone! I refuse to believe it!”

“Believe what, hime?”

Everyone turned, towards the area where the main door met the living room entrance. There under the arch, Akinori stood, his clothing partially stained red with blood, with a worried look on his face. You slowly approached him in disbelief, resting one hand on his cheek, making sure to see if his features were the same as before. The expression you held frightened the dragon, and he looked you over.

“What’s wrong [Name]-hime? Are you hurt?”

“It is you!” you sighed in relief, hugging him.

“We can’t be too sure!” Wasurete marched over, grabbing you from a confused Akinori, whose face now held shock—but it was unclear of what.

“Heika, if I may,” Akito interrupted, summoning himself. “That man before you is my brother.”

“See!” you glared at your brother. “I’m pretty sure I can tell when my kudan is really my kudan!”

“Dude, how are you alive?” Zell questioned. “I mean, Touya just said that the key got dipped into mako and well, you’re supposed to be dead...?”

“I released myself when [Name]-hime was outside,” Akinori answered. “With Riku in a state of panic, he wouldn’t have noticed. While [Name]-hime, Sora, Isamu, and Fujin fought him, I took down the shinobi that were to advance on them. However, I apologize for being insufficient—and they took Riku,” he bowed to you, keeping his head down. “If I’m already out of the key, I can stay like this until you regain possession of it. Even if it is dipped in mako, the strength of the holder’s heart can always have it bring the Dweller’s Glow back, allowing me to return to it.”

You sighed, giving him a small smile,” Thank you.”

“But [Name], I failed—”

“You tried,” Fuu interrupted. “Thanks.”

“We should all get some rest,” Fai sighed. “We’ll figure out what to do in the morning.”

***

The two teens sat on the swings of the small playground in the Caelum backyard once everyone had fallen asleep. For the past three hours, they talked about what to do concerning the current situation. Now, it had gotten quiet, and Akinori swung himself, a hit of frustration behind his usual calm eyes.