Chapter 75

Empty streets that once held cars were now roads that led you into the unknown, and you strolled serenely, hands in your sweater pockets, taking in the silent scene. Every street lamp that you passed, you felt the almost obvious presence of the three shinobi that stalked you as they leapt from treetop to treetop, roof to roof. Yes it was creepy, yes it was annoying, but perhaps what the flaw in the tactic was that they thought you had completely forgotten your training, and with a sigh, you drew your katana as the trio jumped down.

***

The group of people looked at Wasurete like he was crazy, and the ravenette grunted, averting his gaze as he swallowed, mentally cursing himself and his big mouth. Finally, the killer silence was broken through by Hiro tugging at his sleeve.

“Wasu-nii, does that mean you don’t like Suteki?”

“Uh, yeah I don’t—it’s disgusting Hiro, I’m her brother.”

“Does that mean I can ask for your umm...,” the child turned to Kazuki. “Aniki what’s that thingy that a guy asks—”

“Permission,” his brother smiled, rolling his eyes.

“Yeah! Um… C-Can I marry [Name]? I promise I’ll take really, really, really, really good care of her!” Hiro gave Wasurete a puppy face, eyes as big as saucers, lips turned into a small pout, looking ready for rejection, only to revert to a grin when Wasurete chuckled and nodded.

“Hold on, yer saying we’re gonna believe this bulls—”

“What Cid is trying to say,” Fai interrupted,” is that you’re either lying or [Name] hit you pretty hard, Wasurete.”

“Liar, liar, pants on fire!” Ven chanted.

Yuffie choked on laughter, Rikku pointing as she giggled as well,” Even we don’t do THAT anymore!”

“[Name]’s parents only had her, and you’re what 19? It doesn’t add up,” Kurogane scoffed.

“Proof,” Fuu leaned against the wall.

“Alright then,” Wasurete cleared his throat.

***

Blood splattered on the floor and you called back your katana, eliminating the three boys with one swipe of your blade. Prisoners—it was evident both by the way they couldn’t avoid such a simple circular motion, and how they had attacked at once. If anything, they couldn’t have gotten farther than 3rd-dan, or even 9-kyu.

Continuing your walk, you noticed that the presence of someone following you was now gone, and there was nothing but taciturnity lingering in the air—both uncomfortable and soothing all at once. The wind blew, and leaves ruffled in the trees, making you shiver violently in the sudden breeze, the school slowly coming into view.

***

“My parents are [Mom’s Name] [Mom’s Surname] and [Dad’s Name] [Surname]—but you may know them as Suteki and Naoki Higosha. My father was born an orphan, raised a shinobi, and eventually at age 15, he found that he wasn’t able to kill the daughter of a double agent, falling in love with her. His best friend, Kurogane, stood by his side, and they became rogues. Fai Flourite then met the two as an ex-shinobi himself, the three instantly becoming friends, starting new lives in the United States being that Fai’s mother had taken them in.”

“How did you…,” Fai and Kurogane exchanged glances.

“Next,” Wasurete continued,” after months of dating, father decided to tell mother that he was a shinobi, and she still accepted him—which happened on her 15th birthday. That night they slept with each other, and two months later, they broke up, knowing that she had gotten pregnant with me. For the next seven months, they cut all contact until I was born.”