Chapter 43

Afterschool had come by quicker than you expected and before you knew it, you were trudging down the stairs in the mission uniform. All day, you a nasty headache had you staggering around the campus to your classes. By now, it only got worse and you began feeling dizzy. As you were about to step off the staircase, you lost balance and slipped. Someone caught both your arms as you were about to hit the ground, and steadied you. However, you stayed like that, breathing slowly so the ground would stop moving.

“What the hell?” Dante raised an eyebrow as he and Vergil stood in front of you.

“Nero, call them back,” Vergil sighed,” You could’ve just caught her by yourself.”

“What are you talking about?” Nero asked, looking up from his phone as he came in from the kitchen. “Whoa… What the hell?”

“That’s what I said,” Dante scoffed, then raised his hand to send them away, only to see they stayed. “Dude, those aren’t one of ours.”

“But we should be able to do it either way,” Nero mumbled,” Why aren’t they responding?”

“[Name], did you do this?” Vergil asked, gently pulling you into his arms bridal-style.

You followed his gaze and jumped, seeing two demons before the four of you. “I don’t even know how they got here!” you almost shrieked.

“Try doing this,” Nero held his hand out in front of him and swung it to the side.

“Umm...” you did as you were instructed and the demons bowed to you before disappearing within a void of shadows. “Did I just…”

“Oh yeah,” Nero stared at the spot they once stood.

“How did she…” Dante trailed off in awe.

“Guys hurry up!!” Kazuki called from outside.

“Vergil you can put me down,” you said quietly.

He pressed palm to your forehead before sighing,” You’re burning up. I’m carrying you there.” Rather than arguing, you decided to allow yourself get some rest and only nodded in return. Soon, you felt your eyes get heavy and next thing you knew, you fell asleep.

You felt yourself come into consciousness. There was nothing but darkness however, and you took it that you were still sleeping

“Your power is awakening… [Name]-hime,” a voice echoed.

“Who are you?” you asked. “I heard you before in Traverse Town.”

“I am a kudan here to guide you until my counterpart appears. He is stubborn and you must show him your strength is greater than that of your enemy.”

“My enemy? You mean Ryuushin?”

“Yes. He wields great potential within him, already taming Shi no Ryu as his kudan.”

“Dragon of Death?”

“Correct, his power being a mystery for both my master and I. However, I am more than certain that he will be your equivalent in battle.”

“Who is your master?”

“The man whom harbors your shared blood tames my soul.”

“My father… Is alive?”

“...My apologies [Name]-hime, I must be going. I shall appear at the appropriate times to answer your uncertainties.”

“Why are you calling me princess?” No answer. “Hello?”