Chapter 73

It was almost 2AM on Tuesday now, and Wasurete still hadn’t returned from the Farplane. Eight hours passed and worry mixed with guilt had taken hold of you. You didn’t sleep, and when refusing to eat, everyone looked at you like you had lost your mind. Nobody seemed to notice he was gone either, proving that Akinori’s brother—who you named Akito—was quite the actor when people knocked on his door and he told them to go away.

All lights in the house were off and you snuck out at midnight to get in some training. At the moment, you were in the backyard, your katana cutting through the air as the black silk blindfold delicately but sternly shielded your eyes from vision. The rhythmic chirping of crickets filled your ears, and every step you took was silenced by the grass.

Jumping, you spun your blade between your fingers, twirling it around your entire body while flipping down where you landed in a puff of smoke rather than the trademark cherry blossoms. Next, you kicked horizontally; rolling backwards and pushing yourself up with your palms where you stepped on the handle of your katana, catching it once you felt it was at the right distance. Then, you swung the katana around, pivoting from foot to foot in an attempt for both confusion and a new technique. Once you stopped and became still, grass blades around you lifted into the air from the final swing.

A lone clap made your head snap up, and you curiously lifted a side of your blindfold, peeking to see who it was. There, on the wooden platform, was Zero. His legs swinging over the edge, a small smile lit his features as he motioned for you to join him. You called back your katana and did so, removing the blindfold completely.

“Can’t sleep?” Zero inquired softly.

“Nope,” you sighed. “I’m too awake.”

“Worried about Wasurete huh?” he gazed at you, and when you only nodded, he sighed and leaned, back on his hands, looking up at the star filled sky. “I’d be lying if I said I didn’t envy him.”

“What are you talking about?” you mimicked his actions.

“Wasurete-san’s your brother—he gets your love while the rest of us have to fight for it. If you ask me, that’s what’s on half of these guys’ minds.”

“Z-Zero!” you pouted, a blush crossing your face.

He chuckled,” It’s true though [Name]. No matter what you say to each other, you’ll still be there for one another. You’re family. But me? If I dare hurt you in any way, I’d probably die from—”

“Family?” you turned towards him completely. “How did you know that?”

“I’d be an idiot not to see it,” he shrugged sitting up. “His eyes are emerald, not silver correct? And nobody has silver eyes, the closest is Raizo’s gray, but even that’s shades off. That means, that his kudan, which I’m assuming is Akinori’s brother, is playing a part in this. Don’t worry though, I won’t tell anyone,” he smiled, making a gesture as if zipping his lips.

You giggled,” Right, thank you.”

“Don’t mention it,” he nodded. “So, since I came all the way out here to check up on you, let me at least escort you inside.”

“Actually, I think I’ll stay—”

You were cut off by Zero rolling his eyes and swinging you up into his arms bridal style, having a yelp involuntarily escape your lips followed by a giggle. “Remember [Name], I wasn’t asking for permission,” he smirked, strolling through the sliding door.

Zero set you down on the couch and went back to close the sliding door in the kitchen. You sighed and leaned back, letting yourself relax. Seconds later, the teen came back and plopped beside you, handing you a bottle of water, he himself holding a bottle of [Favorite Drink]. You huffed and snatched it from him just as his lips were about to touch the rim, making him chuckle as you tossed him the water bottle.