Chapter 71

Your sword clashed against the leader’s, making him laugh ruefully,” Oh, such strength! Too bad it’s not as much as mine!” He easily pushed you away with enough force to have you land on you back with a hard thud.

“D-Damn,” you muttered, wincing as you stood.

“[Name]!” Noctis sped to you only to be kicked back by another demon, three of them then advancing on him.

“Worry about it later!” Dante called, dodging from being impaled by a spear as three started on him as well.

The final three slowly crept up, surrounding you. Your kudan key began glowing, and you sighed,” No, Akinori.”

‘Hime please—’

“Akinori?” the blonde laughed halfheartedly. “What, did you trap your boyfriend in that thing and rename him?”

“Nah, she couldn’t have, I saw Rei Kiryu earlier,” the other blonde waved him off.

“Whatever,” the crimson eyed brunette flicked both wrists, his hands engulfing in flames,” I just want my reward for doing this.”

***

“Where the hell do these things keep coming from!?”  Nero groaned, revving Red Queen, the flames from it causing the demon hybrid it was lodged into to melt away. He, and numerous other friends of yours were currently fighting in the park’s main clearing, another handful of them protecting evacuees.

“They’re like us,” Vergil answered, cutting through one before sheathing Yamato calmly while dodging another. “Demon-humans, only we’re a perfect balance or maybe a 60-40 human to demon. Their ratio is 80-20 demon to human.”

“Don’t forget they’re fused with materia,” Vincent added after flipping back and shooting three down.

“How’s that?” Lightning glanced at him from the corner of her eye after slashing a few with her blade.

“They have no necklaces yet they control fire, water— elements basically, their senses refined.”

“That’s disgusting,” Vergil snorted, rushing forward and impaling two demons at once while kicking two more away that had come up behind him.

***

As the brunette dashed for you, so did the other two. You barricaded yourself with ice on one side before punching the ground and flipping back. The earth opened at your command, and inside, one of the blondes fell before it closed back up. The remaining blonde dashed at you with a raised katana, and you burst into cherry blossoms, appearing behind the brunette and crystalizing him into ice with one touch, swinging around his frozen and upraised arm to kick the blonde in the face.

Flying back, he threw a flurry of shurikens at you. Closing your eyes, you waited until they were inches from your still body before deflecting it back by letting your katana spin between your fingers. With utter speed, he rushed back at you, his katana raised once again. Since you didn’t have any warning beforehand, you barely caught it, the metal scraping against your palm as he smirked and jumped away. You grunted, shaking your hand, blood sprinkling on the grass blades. Turning to the frozen demon, you sliced through him, both melting ice and blood dampening the grass as if a bucket of the liquids was splashed on them.

“Gah!” Noctis landed beside you, being thrown by one remaining demon against him, his black hair contrasting his glowing red form.

“Noctis!” you crouched down beside him. “Are you alright?”

“I-I’m fine,” he nodded, staking his sword into the ground and slowly standing, his right hand clutching at the blood dripping wound on his left side,” I just got a small scratch—it’s not too deep.”