Chapter 80

Sliding down against the wall slowly and lifelessly reminded you of a single drop of rain against a window. Rapidly blinking, you staggered to your feet only to have Axel charge for you once more, letting out a war cry as his fist was pulled back for a punch. Still stunned from impact, you found your reflexes irresponsive to will, and braced yourself for yet another hit, noticing his eyes were fierce with golden irises. However, Wasurete—who had fallen on his back—pushed himself up on his hands and darted towards you, using the wall as leverage as he jumped on it and kicked Axel in the face.

“W-What’s wrong with you bro!?” Reno yelled, pulling Axel to his feet. “What did [Name] do to you? She saved your life idiot!”

Axel didn’t acknowledge his brother, and pushed him away, summoning his chakrams, and throwing one of them towards Wasurete who was preoccupied with your minor injuries—or so it seemed. Just as the weapon was within arm’s reach, the ravenette summoned his katana and stabbed it forward. The sharp edge pierced through a gap in the chakram, and was flung back towards its owner who evaded, retreating into the kitchen.

Leaving you in the living room, Wasurete chased Axel, the sound of metal against metal, and breaking glass being heard in the distance. Balthier and Vanille rushed to your side, flinging each one of your arms over their shoulders as you were escorted into the medical ward where Aerith was organizing supplies off towards one shelf, her face instantly becoming concerned when seeing your condition.

“[Name]!” the brunette cleared a stretcher for you to sit on. “What happened to her?”

“Axel attacked her! I don’t know what’s going on, but that is NOT a way to show gratitude towards someone!”

Balthier grunted, his hand feeling your stomach—your bones rather—for anything unusual. Vanille kept a hand on your back, making sure the head doctor didn’t notice her actions. You winced twice when his hand came to the side, making him frown,” Cracked rib.”

“Can’t you just heal it, Balthier?” you pleaded. “I can’t afford to be—”

The plaster of the opposite wall broke open, debris flying towards the four of you. Your hands were already on either side of you, making the task of flipping back simple. When landing, you kicked the stretcher with enough force to have it airborne—the layers of paint and wood no match for the metal that broke its path.

“[Name], I thought you—”

“I may have healed her,” Vanille sheepishly smiled, raising her hand.

You proceeded forward quickly but cautiously, gasping when seeing Zack on the floor, burn marks on his arms, fresh and highly contrastable against his normal skin tone. He smiled weakly as you got on your knees and helped him up with Balthier.

Your eyes shifted away from the two for just a moment to see that outside, everyone was running into the backyard as Nero and Dante darted upstairs. You soon understood why when seeing that much of the main room was set ablaze, and since the fire was close to the exposed and torn electrical wiring, trying to put it out was useless.

Vanille and Aerith darted for the safety of outside as Balthier put Zack on his back and followed. You on the other hand, ran through every room of the house as fast as you could, making sure nobody was inside. Then, seeing that a scratched Wasurete had exited with a duffel bag around him, you did as well, your body barely escaping being hit by the falling wood of the backyard entrance to the kitchen.