thirty six

"it's gonna start pouring soon

"it's gonna start pouring soon." max says as we walk down the street to her house. "we should be at the mall or, like, watching a movie or something."

it was the next morning and we were trying to find out what it was that billy was doing.

"you don't believe me?" el asks, referring to what she had told us she'd seen.

"i believe you saw some super weird stuff, totally. but you said mike had sense you in there before, right?" max shrugs. "so maybe it was just like that. maybe billy just...sensed you somehow."

"but the screams-" el interjects.

"yeah, i know, but here's the thing. when billy is alone with a girl, they make, like, really crazy noises." max explains and i chuckle softly.

"they scream?" el asks.

"yeah, but, like...happy screams." max says.

"happy screams? what is happy screams?" el furrows her eyebrows, clearly not understanding.

"it's like...i'm just gonna lend you my mom's cosmo." she says.

"that would probably be best." i say, a smile forming on my lips.

finally, we arrive at max's house to see no one there.

"his car's not here." max says, turning to eleven. "you really wanna do this?"

el simply nods and max leads us inside. we go into billy's room and i see that it's a big mess. there's crushed beer cans on his dresser and dirty clothes everywhere.

"why do i get the feeling we're gonna find all kinds of wrong in here?" i ask, looking around.

"me too." max says, making a face.

max opens a drawer from his nightstand and groans. "ugh! gag me with a spoon."

"he wouldn't keep anything here. too obvious." el says.

we go into the bathroom and el starts to look around. she walks over the the bathtub and looks into it. "guys?"

i walk over as max picks up the empty ice bags floating in the water. "ice. it's just ice. it's probably for his muscles or something. he works out like a maniac."

el walks over and opens one of the cabinets under the sink. she pulls out a green bucket.

"what is it?" i ask.

without saying anything, she pulls out a red fanny pack with the word guard on it. she lays it on the counter and reaches back into the bucket, pulling out a bloody whistle.

"who's is that?" max asks.

"i don't know." eleven says softly.

"we need to go." max says, going out into the hall.

"where?" i ask.