twenty three

"the mind flayer

"the mind flayer." dustin slams the book on the table in front of us.

"the hell is that?" hopper asks, furrowing his eyebrows.

"it's a monster from an unknown dimension." dustin explains. "it's so ancient that it doesn't even know it's true home. okay, it enslaves races of other dimensions by taking over their brains using its highly developed psionic powers."

"oh my god," hopper interrupts. "none of this is real. this is a kids' game."

"no, it's a manual. and it's not for kids. and unless you know something that we don't, this is the best metaphor-" dustin is cut off.

"analogy." lucas corrects him.

"analogy? that's what you're worried about?" dustin asks. "fine! an analogy for understanding whatever the hell this is."

"okay, so this mind flamer thing-" nancy starts.

"flayer. mind flayer." dustin says slowly.

nancy sighs, rolling her eyes. "what does it want?"

"to conquer us, basically. it believes it's the master race." dustin says.

"oh, like the- like the germans." steve stammers.

i look up, giving steve a weird look.

"uh, the nazis?" dustin corrects him.

"yeah, yeah, yeah, the nazis." steve nods quickly, looking from bancy to dustin.

"if the nazis were from another dimension, totally." dustin says.

i notice hopper run his hand down his face in frustration.

"it views other races, like us, as inferior to itself." dustin continues.

"it wants to spread, take over other dimensions." mike adds.

"we are talking about the destruction of our world as we know it." lucas says, shaking his hands a bit.

"that's great," steve says sarcastically, "that's really great, that's great. jesus!" he turns and runs his hand through his hair.

"okay, so if this thing is like a brain that's controlling everything," nancy starts, "then if we kill it...?"

"we kill everything it controls." i answer.

"we win." dustin says.

"theoretically." lucas adds.

"great." hopper takes the book out of nancy's hands. "so, how do we kill this thing? shoot it with fireballs or something?"

"no, no, no," dustin chuckles, "no fireballs. uh, you summon an undead army, b-because zombies, you know, they don't have brains and the mind flayer, it-it likes brains-"

hopper gives him a confused look and dustin stops rambling and shakes his head.

"it's just a game, it's just a game."

"what the hell are we doing here?" hopper closed the book and tosses it onto the table.

"i thought we were waiting for your military backup." dustin says.

"we are!" hopper says.

"even if they come, how are they gonna stop this?!" mike asks. "you can't just shoot this with guns!"

"you don't know that! we don't know anything!" hopper furrows his eyebrows.

"we know it's already killed everybody in that lab!" i jump in.

"and we know the monsters are gonna molt again." lucas crosses his arms.

"and we know that it's only a matter of time before those tunnels reach this town." dustin says.

"they're right." i hear joyce's shaky voice across the room and i turn towards her. "we have to kill it. i want to kill it."

hopper walks towards her. "me too. me too, joyce, okay? but how do we do that? we don't exactly know what we're dealing with here."

"no, but he does." i speak up. i turn to will, who's passed out on the couch, and walk towards him. "if anyone knows how to destroy this thing, it's will. he's connected to it. he'll know its weakness."

"i thought we couldn't trust him anymore?" max asks. "that he's a spy for the mind flayer."

"yeah, but he cant spy if he doesn't know where he is." i say, looking back at everyone.