sixty

"okay, she's in

"okay, she's in." steve says as we watch from his car as max goes into ms. kelley's house.

"i'm missing collarbones, not eyes." dustin says in a monotone voice, causing me to start giggling.

steve ignores him, still looking towards the house.

"so..." dustin starts. "we gonna talk about...it?"

"huh? sorry, talk about what?" steve turns to dustin.

"oh y'know, just your temporary insanity earlier today when you basically threw yourself at nance?" i smile, leaning forward from the backseat.

"okay, first of all, that's not what happened." steve says.

"pretty sure that's what happened." dustin nods, "it was pretty public. there were a lot of witnesses."

"are you guys implying that i still have a thing for nancy?" steve frowns.

"no. we're not implying." i shake my head.

"yeah, we're stating." dustin says, shrugging a little. "and, as it relates to your steadfast refusal to date robin, it's pretty much the only logical explanation."

"that's not the only one." steve says softly before raising his voice. "and as for nance, i was just trying to protect a friend."

dustin looks forward, a big smile plastered on his face. he just nods.

"a friend, henderson. okay?" steve says.

"okay." dustin puts his hands up.

"i don't wanna find her in the morning with her eyes sucked out of the front her skull by this vecna creep." steve fumed.

"you're bright red in the face right now." dustin chuckles.

"no, i'm not. i don't wanna talk about it." steve rolled his eyes. "i'll punch you so hard in your face that your teeth'll fall back out."

i gasped, my eyes going wide, and i fell back into the seat.

"woah. too far." dustin frowns.

"that was brutal, steve." i say, trying not to start laughing awkwardly.

steve looks between the two of us before looking back at dustin.

"...not cool. sorry." steve shakes his head.

"not cool." dustin repeats. "it's okay."

they sit in silence for a moment before fist bumping one another.

the front door opens and max runs out.

"here she comes. here she comes." steve says.

"oh my god, we can see." i say.

max runs up to the car and gets in next to me. she held her hands in her pockets as if she was hiding something.

"what'd she say?" dustin asks.