thirty two

"i call it

"i call it...the forever clock." dustin pulls out a windmill and turns a handle on the back. "alright? powered by wind. very useful in the apocalypse."

he hands it to will before pulling out a hammer taped to other objects. "then, i give you the slammer."

he pushes a button and it starts to shake. he holds it out towards mike and eleven but they back away.

dustin turns it off and chuckles. "pretty neat, huh?" he turns around again and picks up a bag. "but this, this is my masterpiece."

he sets it down on the ground with a small grunt and we all crouch down. he opens it to reveal a bunch of metal pieces.

"i would like you to meet cerebro." he smiles.

"what exactly are we looking at here?" i ask.

"an unassembled one-of-a-kind battery-powered radio tower!" dustin says.

"so, it's a ham radio." will says.

"the cadillac of ham radios." dustin grins. "this baby carries a crystal-clear connection over vast distances. i'm talking north pole to south. i can talk to my girlfriend whenever and wherever i choose."

"girlfriend?!" we all say at the same time.

dustin smiles a little and nods. "let's go test it out!"

he picks up the bag and we follow him out of his room.

"what's her name?" mike asks.

"her name is suzie. with a z. she's from utah." dustin explains.

"girls go to science camp?" will asks. i furrow my eyebrows and shove him a little, causing him to groan.

"suzie does. she's a genius."

"is she cute?" mike asks.

"think phoebe cates, only hotter." dustin says, leading us to the front door.

"what's going on?" max asks from the kitchen.

"we're going to talk to dustin's girlfriend." will says.

lucas shoots up from the sink. "girlfriend?!" him and max say at the same time before running after us.

"aren't we high enough?" lucas asks as we walk up the steep hill.

"cerebro works best at a hundred meters." dustin huffs.

"y'know, i'm pretty sure people in utah have telephones." max says.

"yeah, but suzie's mormon." dustin responds, wiping the sweat from his forehead.