sixty two

"this better be fast, mayfield

"this better be fast, mayfield." steve says sternly, parking his car in front of max's trailer home.

"twenty seconds" max promises, quickly getting out of the car and throwing her bookbag over her shoulder. she runs up to her door and hurries inside.

i look across the dirt road and see my trailer still closed off by police tape. the front door stood wide open, swaying a little from the wind. i could barely see inside, but from what i could see, it was way messier than usual. i hadn't been home in two days. i had no idea where my uncle was or how he was doing. he must be so worried about eddie and i.

"that thing's got batteries in it, right?" my thoughts are interrupted by steve's stupid question about dustin's radio.

dustin looks between him and his radio before looking out the window and sighing, "i'm not even answering that question."

steve makes a face.

"yes, it has batteries." dustin nods.

"yeah, i got it." steve says in a sassy tone.

we sit in silence for a few seconds before steve starts to get impatient.

"god, what's taking her so long?" he opens his car door and stands up.

lucas does the same. "should we go check on her?"

dustin and i start to stand up as well until i see max speed walking around from the back of her house.

"hey, that was longer than twenty seconds." steve says, but she ignores him. she walks quickly past him. "hey, woah, woah. you alright?"

"i'm fine, just drive." she says, getting into the car.

"did something happen?" dustin asks as we get settled into steve's car.

"can we please just go?!" max pleads, looking out her window.

without saying another word, steve quickly drives off.

we sat in silence the whole ride to wherever max was taking us next. i think we all just felt bad for max and knew there wasn't really a way for us to make her feel better.

"turn here" she instructs.

dustin looks back at her in confusion. "here?"

we were at a cemetery. max just nods.

steve does as he's told and he turns into the graveyard. he drives slowly down the dirt road until finally, max speaks up. "stop here."

as the car comes to a stop, she quickly hops out. lucas follows behind her.

"max?" i hear him call out after her.

"lucas, please, just wait in the car." she says, not even looking back at him.