seven

we arrive at the sinclair household about ten minutes later

we arrive at the sinclair household about ten minutes later. i knock on the door and lucas opens the door.

"what do you want?"

dustin and i look over at mike, waiting for him to say something, but he's just looking down. dustin slaps his shoulder.

mike sighs. "i drew first blood, so..."

mike holds his hand out for lucas to shake but lucas just stands there. he looks down at mike's hand and then back at mike.

"let me think about it" he says, opening his door wider for us to come inside.

we go in the living room and lucas starts pacing back and forth.

"okay, i'll shake." he says, finally.

mike sighs and holds his hand out again.

"on one condition. we forget the weirdo and go straight to the gate."

"then the deal's off." mike says.

"fine!" lucas throws his hands up.

"fine!" mike says, mimicking him.

"no, no, not fine!" dustin says.

"guys, seriously?" i say. i turn to mike. "do you even remember what happened on the bloodstone pass?"

lucas and mike look at one another and exchange a shrug. dustin rolls his eyes.

"we couldn't agree on what path to take, so we split up the party. and those trolls took us out one by one." i say, recalling a past d&d game. "it all went to shut! and we were all disabled! so we stick together, no matter what."

"yeah, i agree. but this is the party, right here in this room." lucas says.

"el is one of us now." mike says.

"um, no. she's not. not even close!" lucas shakes his head. "never will be. she's a liar, a traitor-"

"she was just trying to keep us safe! she didn't mean to hurt you. it was an accident!" mike yells.

"an accident?"

"alright, accident or not, admit it. it was a little awesome." dustin says.

lucas puts his hands up and leans back in disbelief. "awesome?!"

"yeah, she threw you in the air with her mind!"

"i could have been killed!"

"which is exactly why we need her!" mike joins in. "she's a weapon! do you seriously wanna fight the demogorgon with your wrist rocket? that's like r2-d2 going to fight darth vader. we're no use to will if we're dead."

lucas huffs. "if you three wanna waste your time looking for a traitor, go ahead, 'cause i'm not spending my time on her anymore. no way! i'm going to the gate."