forty nine

"you okay?" mike asks me, walking over to where i was sitting

i look up from the ground and at him. "yeah, i'm fine. why?"

"you just looked concerned, i don't know." he plops down next to me. "i kind of just wanted an excuse to talk to you."

i roll my eyes. "what do you want, mike?"

"i just...wanted to say i was sorry." he sighs. "about how i've acting and summer and everything. i just- i've been so confused lately."

"you don't have to apologize." i lie.

"yeah, i do. you're my best friend, y/n. i'm just so terrified of messing any of that up." he leans towards me, nudging me with his shoulder. "i want you in my life forever."

i laugh, looking down at the ground, before quickly going back to my serious face. i cursed myself for always forgiving him so easily.

"just figure out what you want, mike." i say before standing up and walking off towards max and lucas.

"hey, we should probably go." i hear mike say from behind me.

i look back and see eleven nod. she gives hopper a big hug before standing up and joining the rest of us. mike and max help her walk.

we make our way upstairs and to the mall entrance. el grunts in pain the whole way there.

"el, you're bleeding." max says once we're almost to the car.

eleven grunts in response.

"here, lay down." mike says, helping her into the back of nancy's car.

nancy and jonathan get in the front and nancy tries to start the car. but it doesn't. the engine sputters and she starts to panic.

"what's wrong?" jonathan asks.

"i don't..." she attempts to start it again. "i don't know."

the engine sputters again.

"you can't be serious, come on!"

"didn't your mom just buy you this car?" lucas asks.

"yes. i'm sure it's fine." nancy says.

"did you leave the lights on?" will asks.

"no!"

"do we have gas?" i ask.

"yes!" she turns the key aggressively but the car still won't start. "come on!"

"woah, woah, woah! just stop, stop!" jonathan says, grabbing her arm. he opens his door. "pop the hood."

he walks around to the front of the car as nancy pulls a lever next to her. she gets out and walks to the front of her car.

the rest of us sit in silence in nancy's car for a moment before a car starts revving it's engine in the distance. i look to my left and see the blue car flash it's headlights.