nine

"mike? it's me, nancy

"mike? it's me, nancy."

mike jumps up from the floor of the old bus and takes his radio out of his bookbag.

"mike are you there? we need you to answer."

"is that your sister?" lucas asks.

"this is an emergency, mike. do you copy? mike! do you copy?"

"okay, this is really weird." dustin says.

lucas grabs the walkie talkie but mike pulls it away. "don't answer."

"she said it was an emergency." lucas exclaims.

"what if it's a trick?" mike asks.

"its your sister!"

"what if the bad people kidnapped her? what if they're forcing her to say this?"

"he has a point." i shrug.

"i need you to answer." nancy says.

"it's like lando calrissian. don't answer!" dustin says.

"we need to know that you're there mike!"

"listen kid, this is the chief. if you're there, pick up. we know you're in trouble and we know about the girl." i hear jim hopper's voice say.

"why is she with the chief?" lucas asks.

"how the hell does he know about eleven?" i ask

"we can protect you, we can help you, but you gotta pick up." hopper continues. "are you there? do you copy? over."

mike looks around at us, not knowing whether to answer or not.

"answer him." i say.

mike looks up and me and nods. "yeah...i copy. it's mike. i'm here. we're all here."

"will you stop pacing?" i say to dustin, who had been pacing up and down the aisle for a few minutes now.

"it's been way too long. y'know what? maybe you're right. maybe this is all a trap and the bad men are coming to get us right now and it's allll y/n's fault because she told you to answer the radio!" dustin goes off.

"it's not a trap! what would the chief set us up?" lucas says. "nancy, maybe. but the chief?"

mike puts his hands up in confusion.