forty six

lucas opens his coke loudly in the silent store while the rest of us snap our necks towards him

"quiet." max scolds.

"oh, sorry." he whispers before taking loud sips.

mike stares at him in disgust. "how do you even drink that?"

"because it's delicious."

"what?" mike, max, and i furrow our eyebrows at him. even nancy and jonathan give him weird looks.

"it's like carpenter's the thing." lucas smiles. "the original is a classic, no question about it. but the remake..."

he takes a long, loud slurp of his coke while the rest of us just stand there, waiting on him to finish his thought. when he's done, he sighs and licks his lips.

"sweeter, bolder, better."

"you're insane." mike says slowly.

"so, you prefer the original thing?" lucas asks.

"what? no, i'm not talking about the thing, i'm talking about new coke."

"it's the same concept, dude."

"uh, actually? it's not the same concept." mike shakes his head and starts mocking lucas.

"it is the same concept." lucas says, returning his energy.

"no, it's not."

"yes, it is." lucas says louder.

eleven tears off her blindfold. she was sitting a few feet away from in, in front of a shelf of refrigerated eggo waffles. "hey."

we turn towards her quickly.

"sorry." mike and lucas apologize.

she stares at them, clearly agitated. blood trickled slowly down her nose.

"so...did you find them?"

"the movies?!" lucas pushes the shopping cart full of explosives down the aisle. "dustin's so freaked out about the gate, he decides to go watch a movie? yeah, makes total sense."

"you're positive he said gate and not great?" max asks.

"yeah, like, this movie i'm watching great!" will nods, turning to eleven.

"sounded like gate." eleven says.

"which would explain how the mind flayer's still alive." i say. i followed the rest of them out the store.

"yeah, we just have to shut it again." nancy says, trailing behind me.

"then the monster dies." will says.

"but if not, we always have lucas' fireworks." max says sarcastically.

"keep mocking my plan, max. keep mocking it." lucas helps her lift the cart out through the broken glass door. "i wanna hear you say it again, because you keep doubting me. you keep doubting me!"