thirty

"alright, come on

"alright, come on." mike grabs my forearm and helps pull me out of the tunnel. next, comes dustin, then steve.

"are you guys okay?" lucas asks.

"yeah, we're fine." steve nods, brushing himself off.

suddenly, the lights from billy's car start getting brighter. i look away from them, covering my eyes with my hands.

"what the hell?" dustin mumbles.

the lights dim down again and i bring my hands down to my sides.

"is it over?" max asks, looking around at us.

"i think so." lucas answers softly.

we stand in silence for a moment, looking straight ahead of us.

"so what now?" dustin asks.

we all look around at one another before i let out a chuckle.

"let's go home."

one month later

"ow!" i exclaim as my brother accidentally pokes my eye.

"sorry, i'm almost done." he says with a small smile.

it was the day of the snowball and we had all decided to go as a big group. i hadn't seen eleven since that day at the byers' house, but i was hoping we would see her before the year ended.

"alright, your eyeliner's done." eddie says, wiping the end of my eye with his finger.

i stand up and turn to him. "how do i look?"

he smiles softly, admiring me. "you're so beautiful, y/n."

"oh, fuck you, eddie." i breathe out a laugh.

"i'm being serious. you look just like mom." he takes one last look at me before leading me out of my room. "alright, i'll take you to the wheeler house now so you can leave me the fuck alone."

it was basically a tradition that mike and i take pictures together before every dance. mrs. wheeler kept all the pictures in a small scrapbook, which she was saving for when we graduated high school.

i knock on the wheelers' front door and mike opens it a few seconds later. he looks at me for a moment, his eyes wide.

"hey." i grin.

"hi." he breathes out before opening the door wider, allowing me to come in.

"you look- um," he clears his throat. "you look gorgeous, y/n."

"don't be so cheesy, wheeler." i laugh as mrs. wheeler comes out of the living room.

"y/n! you look beautiful!" she smiles.

"thanks." i chuckle, making my way to the staircase, where mike and i always took pictures.

"alright, mike, stand closer to y/n and smile." mrs. wheeler instructs.