Chapter 80.

*A/N: I cannot believe that this story has reached over 100K already! I'm truly touched that y'all have loved this story as much as I've loved writing it and I can't wait to see how you respond to the rest of the story as it wraps up. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and please keep the comments coming because I love reading through each and every one! To mark this milestone, I thought I'd change it up and offer the story in a new perspective. Enjoy!!

Lilith's POV

I rolled to my side as my eyes fluttered open. Immediately, I felt a strong pulse from deep within my womb that caused me to wince in pain. My child was suffering. My son.

The strain I'd allowed my body to endure when my father and I went into hiding had been too much after all. Part of me had hoped that the distance wouldn't effect the mate bond with Zane. I thought it wouldn't matter since we never truly loved each other. We both knew what our bond was for. This alliance gave myself and my kingdom just as much of an advantage as his. But as loosely as it had been wound around us, it was still enough of a connection that needed nurturing with close proximity.

Since I'd been back, it had slowly begun to strengthen, but I'm not sure if the damage would be able to be repaired at this stage. It seemed as if I was losing time the longer I was apart from him, not at first, but after a while. It was like my mind was slowly shutting itself down to protect itself from the agony of a broken or strained mate bond. Unfortunately, my body hadn't been able to adapt as well.

My gaze fell down to my arms, rested gently on top of each other like two fragile extensions of the rest of my body. They were nearly bone and skin only, and my flesh had become a paled and ashen version of its former smoother porcelain tone. I brought my hand to my stomach, fighting the urge to feel my bones poking up from beneath my skin.

I was falling apart.

Zane coming to visit seemed to help my own physical state somewhat, but the steady undertone of pain from within my stomach had not lessened. Part of me feared it may be too late. Suddenly, the door clicked to open and when my head slowly swiveled around to see which healer was entering, I was shocked.

I met two round jeweled eyes staring back at me as she quietly closed the door behind her. Her blonde hair fell down into her left eye and she reached up to brush it away from her face, taking a breath before stepping closer to stand at the end of my bed beside my feet.

"What are you doing here Adriana?" I said, my words coming out coldly.

I wasn't sure why I felt the sudden urge to hate her, but all I could think of was that she was beautiful, and healthy before me while I withered away from within this bed. Her stomach swelled with growth, and a future, while mine slowly withered away.

"Zane is on his way, but...I thought you and I should talk, if you're feeling up to it. I wanted to tell you what's happened, but also, I wanted to help you...if you'll let me." She said. Her voice was smooth and low, soothing even.

I could feel my anger lessening, reluctantly allowing her presence to comfort me, but I refused to show it just yet.

"Well...what's happened?" I said shortly.

Her jaw tightened for a moment before she took another step closer, settling into the chair beside the bed to bring herself down to my eye level.

"Lilith, I'm sure you knew this would be coming, but I wanted to let you know that...your father was sentenced for his crime of treason." her voice was soft, but I could sense her emotion. This was just as hard for her to tell me.

"And Zane killed him." I said, my words shaky as I awaited the inevitable truth to leave her lips. She dropped her eyes for just a moment before bringing them back up to meet mine.