Chapter 26.

Zane's POV

The meeting had begun and my parents and Maddox were nailing down the week's itinerary as the council mingled and listened lazily, only chiming I'm twice to discuss protocol for the ceremony.

I sat impatiently in my chair, my knee bouncing as the image of Ana's frail body seared into my memory, her faded green eyes haunting me. Lilith's hand gently squeezed my knee, attempting to bring me back to Earth but it only irritated me more. I pulled away and leaned further into my chair.

My gaze fell on the door in the back of the room as it slowly opened and Ehren stepped through. He walked to stand next to Maddox who paused to nod to him before returning to my parents.

"Kyran, Isla, I'm sure you remember my Hand of the King, Ehren." He said smoothly.

Ehren bowed to each of them. "It's a pleasure to see you both again your majesties."

He sat in the seat to the right of Maddox and his eyes met mine that had frozen on him. His jaw clenched as he nodded to me before returning attention to the table.

As the meetings ended, I followed Ehren as he made his way out of the room, slowly walking around the corner and down the hall. I flashed up to him and grabbed his shoulder, turning him around and shoving him into the wall behind him.

"You will tell me everything. Right now." I snarled.

He shoved back against me and growled, raising his hands in surrender. "Get your fucking hands off me." He straightened and tugged his shirt back straight. "All you had to do was ask."

I glared hard as I followed him into a nearby empty sitting room shutting the door behind us. He made his way over to the couch placed in front of a large stone fireplace and leaned forward, his arms resting on his knees. "What do you want to know?" He asked lowly.

"Everything."

Ehren sighed before finally speaking lowly. "Maddox wanted to inspect her once she arrived, and took a liking to her. He wanted to break her. Body and soul. He tried to destroy your mark, but she held onto the thread connecting you. Who knows why." I growled a low warning growl before he continued. "Can't you feel it? Her pain?"

I raked a hand roughly through my hair as I exhaled loudly. "Of course I can."

"That's what I meant. I don't know why she wants to hold on to something that helps you feel it. It's a challenge to Maddox. It infuriated him that he can't completely claim her. Her mark from you makes his anger worse when she won't release the bond holding her to you." His voice was even but I could hear the genuine concern lacing it.

"I promised I'd come for her. The mark would help me find her faster." I said quietly in understanding.

"You have to release her. You have to give her up. He'll kill her before he lets you have her back. Not after..."

I flashed to stand in front of him, glaring down at him. His eyes widened and his entire body stiffened. "After what?" I sneered.

Ehren shook his head and stood, stepping away from me as his shoulders tensed. "I can't say any more. I've said too much already."

"Why is he draining her? Tell me or I'll fucking ask him myself." I said.

Ehren stepped to the door and placed his hand on the knob, twisting it before speaking. "He knows." With that he stepped out and shut the door quietly behind him.

My stomach twisted painfully as his words hit me. He knew. Maddox knew what she was and now that she was of age he wanted to use her. I quickly made my way to my parents' suites, not waiting to be let in as I stormed in. They were both sitting in the sitting area with three slaves, discussing tonight's event and their eyes all turned on me as I stalked toward them. They dismissed the slaves before turning their attention fully on me.

"He knows. Maddox knows what she is." I sneered.

"Fuck!" Kyran yelled as he stood from the couch. He froze and turned to my mother. "You said she came of age this week Isla?"

Mom nodded before answering. "Yes. If it's true, her powers should have surfaced by now. If they have, he'd have started drinking from her. You said she looked as if he was Zane?"

I nodded shortly as a scowl took over my features. "She looks as if she's withering away already and it's only been a week. He's definitely trying to drain her. The only thing stopping him is me."

"You?" Kyran asked in confusion.

I sighed and pinched my eyes, knowing they were going to be angry. "I'd marked her...before you'd agreed to include her in the trade."

"How could you not tell me this? He's probably furious!" Kyran said with a raised voice.

"I didn't know! I thought she'd be mine. It just happened."

My mother stepped up to stand in front of me, her hand rising to brush against my cheek. I felt myself relax slightly into her hand. "You loved her didn't you?"

I nodded and my father begin to pace behind the couch. "This is bad Zane. But maybe it's for the best. If she's marked by another, he can't claim her gifts."

My brows rose and I searched my mother's reaction. "Is this true? Is that why he's fighting the mark so hard? He's nearly ruined it but she's holding onto it somehow."

Isla smiled as she spoke. "She's always been strong. Maybe she can fight it Kyran."

He scoffed as he slowed his pace. "Sure but she'll fade eventually. There's only so much a human can stand Isla, and Maddox is very old and very strong. Eventually he will break her. He will get what he wants."

"We can't let him claim her gifts Kyran. He'll be worse than he is now. He won't have to honor anything if he's stronger than all of us. He could rule us all with her gifts and there's nothing we can do to stop him once he does. He'll kill her to keep them." Her voice was quiet and steady, but I could hear the fear seeping through.

"Damnit, I know Isla. But we agreed. We can't just steal her. There's no way out of this." He stilled and looked at me, his expression changing to guilt. "Unless we kill her ourselves."

I growled loudly and flashed to stand in front of him. "You will not!" I yelled.

"Son, there's no other way. If she dies here of seemingly natural causes, he won't be able to question it. It has to happen for the good of the kingdom."

"I could turn her." I said, a low growl still rumbling in the back of my throat.

Kyran shook his head, pinching his brows together as he spoke. "You know that's a punishable offense. She's not your property anymore. He'll want retribution for that and I won't do it. I won't have you subjected to that."

"So we're just going to let her die, when she's done nothing to deserve it?" I sneered, my eyes widening in disbelief.

"Son, there's no other way. We will have to do it soon. We will only get one chance."

My mother looked at me with sadness filling her gaze. "He's right dear. We can't free her. She has nowhere to go, and if you turn her Maddox will want to torture you for it. I won't do that to you."

I scoffed and threw my hands in the air. "You two are cowards. I'll take the fucking punishment. I don't care. If you kill her, expect to have to go through me to do it."

My father growled but I turned and stormed out of the room. I had to find Ehren. I needed to know where they were keeping her. I had to see her. She deserved to have a say. I could only hope she'd choose life, or whatever version of it I could give her.