Chapter 53.

"Ana! I've been looking everywhere for you. Are you alright?" He said hurriedly as he steadied me on my feet.

"I'm...fine. Fallon what are you doing out here?" I breathed as the shock and adrenaline slowly began to wear off.

"We've been following the scouts who have been trying to find you in hopes that we could get to you first. I can't believe you ran right into me." He said with a laugh as he brushed his hand through his tousled blonde hair.

My heart twisted in my chest as my eyes fluttered up to meet his. "We?" I tried to keep the emotion in my voice from peeking through, but it broke just slightly.

"He's not here." I felt the smallest sting of disappointment before shoving it back down. That was for the best. He was safer that way. "The King won't let him leave because of the potential danger. They fear Maddox would try to have him killed if he left the protection of the palace. He's been under constant guard along with the rest of the family since Maddox fled with his warriors." Fallon gave me a look of sympathy as he watched me closely.

My eyes began to fill with unshed tears at the sight of him. I hadn't realized until now how badly I'd needed to see something familiar. Something that reminded me of a singular happy moment, even if it had only been but a glimpse. I walked closer until I was standing right in front of him before wrapping my arms around his waist and burrowing my face into his chest.

I felt Fallon straighten against my hold, but he relaxed into it just as quickly, wrapping his arms firmly around my shoulders as he pulled me tightly against him. He placed his chin on my head as he stroked my hair reassuringly. He opened his mouth to speak, but paused as he inhaled slowly.

"Ana?" He said quietly.

I pulled my face back slightly to look up at him and saw that he was looking thoughtfully down at me, as if he was trying to decipher a puzzle. His expression turned down into a frown before he suddenly flashed around, his arm winding around me and shoving me behind him as he lowered his stance defensively. In an instant, Ehren and Kora were bursting through the brush as they growled angrily.

"Release her and we may yet let you live!" Kora snarled as she stalked closer.

She suddenly froze, her nostrils flaring as she looked back at Fallon, realization crossing her eyes. Ehren noticed her change and stilled, holding his stance as he watched cautiously.

"Fallon, are you here for her? Or to help her?" Ehren asked Congress his voice tight.

I peeked around to give him a quick nod as I stepped away from Fallon who was looking back at Kora as if he'd seen a ghost.

"Can it truly be you?" Fallon whispered.

Kora stood frozen in place, staring back at him as if she was unsure of what to do. I walked slowly over to stand beside Ehren, watching the two as they gazed back at one another. I didn't dare disturb their reunion. It had been a long time coming.

"Fifty years." Fallon whispered hoarsely. "You've been alive this whole time? You stayed away for fifty fucking years Kora." He looked back at her with brokenness in every word as realization hit him. She'd been alive this whole time, and stayed away willingly. "Why?"

Kora's face pulled into a deep frown as sadness pushed out of her in waves. I could sense the change in her aura. I could see the turmoil she was suffering through. Fallon stalked towards her, quickly closing the distance between them until he was standing just in front of her.

Anger flashed across his face as it mixed with sorrow as his hands flew up to grasp her shoulders, shaking her slightly to pull her attention up to him. "You have nothing to say? Not one thing after all this time?"