Chapter 54.

Zane's POV

I paced in front of my balcony door, watching the treeline like a hawk. Every movement. Every noise. I was on high alert as I waited impatiently for Fallon's return. Hopefully with Ana safely in tow.

After several hours, I finally saw Fallon walk out of the forest just as night had fallen over the landscape surrounding us. He knew to be back by dark. With yearlings attacking daily now, it was dangerous to be out after sundown. That was why we'd mandated a kingdom-wide curfew at dusk for all non-members of the nobility and royal family. We couldn't afford more attacks outside of our walls. Too many were already happening as it was.

To my disappointment, he was alone. Frustration surged in me and I growled as I raked a hand through my hair. Fallon heard me and caught my eye before flashing into the castle. Within only a few minutes he was already walking into my room, shutting the door behind him so that my guard wouldn't hear.

"Well? Was there any sign of her?" I asked impatiently.

He stood rigid, as if he was unsure of where to begin. He finally squared himself and faced me, his jaw clenched as he composed his words. "I found her Zane." He said lowly.

My brows rose and my jaw clenched tightly. "Then why isn't she with you?" I tried to keep my voice even, but my words were tight as I spoke.

He shook his head, stepping closer as he watched me cautiously. "She said she couldn't leave. She had to remain with her people."

I sighed as I pulled a hand down my face. "So she did bring them. That's good. That will be helpful for the battle. She said it would begin tomorrow."

He let out a tight laugh as his expression changed to disbelief. "Yes you said she'd come to you. But I had no idea what she was capable of until now. Zane...she's incredible. She's so much stronger now. The things she's able to do, it's amazing."

I felt pride swell inside of me as he spoke. I knew she'd be powerful, more so than any of us could have ever foreseen. I'd sensed the strength inside of her from the very beginning, even when she didn't know it herself.

"There's quite a lot you should know." He said, his expression thoughtful as he looked back at me. I could tell there was much he wanted to tell me, so I sat and waited for him to proceed. "She's with Kora." He said on a breath, his eyes brightening as he said her name.

"What? She's alive?" I was shocked. We'd searched for her for years but finally had to assume her dead when she never returned.

He nodded once and smiled as his eyes held a distant look. "She's alive. She's with Ana and she's helping to keep her safe."

He sat with a look of seriousness suddenly, looking away from my gaze before slowly bringing it back to me. His spine straightened and he leaned forward to hold my attention, his forearms testing against his knees.

"She's also with Ehren Zane." He said slowly.

"I know. We sent him to find her."

Fallon shook his head and sat forward. "No. She's with him man."

I froze, letting out a short breath as I slumped back in my seat. I felt my chest tighten at the thought of the two of them together, but I'd known such a thing was possible. How could it not be? He'd been there for her so many times when I could not.