Chapter 37.

Ana's POV

I was exhausted. We'd been practicing my gifts all evening, testing their limits, and I had never felt more mentally drained. Physically, I felt completely normal, but inside, I felt like I'd run three marathons and moved a mountain. Delphine helped me through a lot of it at first, allowing me to use some of her influence, but by the end, I was practicing on my own. She had me draw forward the visions I'd had while I was away, the dreams I'd had with Zane's blood in my system, and then had me focus on small things in my past I wanted to see more clearly.

I chose the moment I got my first mark of my tattoo. It was the moment that started me down the path that lead me to Zane, and I had to be thankful for that much. It had lead me to a truly great love that I'd felt into my soul, even though it was as fleeting as a shooting star flying across the sky on a clear night.

As the memory became clearer, I realized there had been much my own human memory had blocked out and forgotten. I'd been so young. The image of Zane arguing with his mother before she'd had me tattooed pushed to the front of my mind.

"She's only thirteen!" He'd said loudly. "She's different mom. You can't force this on her."

He'd sensed something within me. An inner strength I hadn't even seen in myself. I knew that now. To make things worse, he'd been given the very gift he'd fought so hard to not be created.

I hopped into a steaming shower, trying to relax my tired body as I let the steam billow around me, the hot water running over my head as I stood beneath it. My thoughts slowly began to pull once again towards Zane. I lethargically bathed and washed my hair as I let my mind wander, his face becoming more and more clear. Those piercing blue eyes nearly real right in front of me as he stared back at me. They could see into me, as if he was looking at my very soul.

I slowly walked out of the shower and dried before slipping into a sleep shirt that had been brought up for me, along with a few other basics I'd need while I was here. Suddenly, the image of Zane began to become sharper, as if I was standing in the room with him. I was so close I could touch him, but I wasn't able to.

Zane stood in front of his mirror, tired eyes staring back at himself as he buttoned up a crisp white button down. He tucked his shirt into trim grey slacks and belted his pants before shrugging into a form fitting matching jacket. He looked stunning, but his shoulders didn't have the same straightness to them as they normally did. His head hung a little lower than usual, and his smile didn't reach his eyes as Fallon walked in.

Fallon gave him a half smile before walking over and clapping him on the back. "It's going to be all right. Everything will work out as it should. And I'm here for you no matter what. Man if you need to get out of here, just say the word and I'm at your side. Everyone else be damned."

Zane let out a tight laugh and shook his head. "I wish it were that easy. But I have to do this Fallon. For my people. Maybe one day happiness will follow." His voice held a sadness within each word and I felt the familiar stab in my heart as he faced the mirror one last time before walking out.

He forced his body straighter as they came to the throne room, the doors opening to an aisle lined with candles. The chandeliers were lit and dropped low as he made his way up the aisle, passing the elected few who were permitted to attend. He gave several males a nod as he came to the front of the room, stopping in front of his parents who were standing proud and straight. Maddox sat lazily to the side, slouched in a sturdy throne while he waited. A ghost of a smirk played on his lips as he locked eyes with Zane, as if he was enjoying his pain in this moment.

Isla reached out and hugged Zane tightly before releasing him. "Thank you son. I know this day will be hard for you." She smiled down at her son with empathy until Kyran stepped in front of him, patting his back and cupping his face affectionately. "Your kingdom will thank you one day my son." He said.

Fallon waited to the side, watching as the doors slowly opened to make way for Lilith. She was lead by her maiden as Milo followed closely behind. She was wearing a stunning white gown that hugged her curves just right, matched with a plunging neckline, and her hair was swept off to the side as soft curls wound down the opposite side of her face. Ruby red lips finished the look off as she looked up at Zane with big brown doe eyes.

"Hello Lilith." He said quietly as she stopped, giving her a small smile and a nod, his eyes remaining tight and his jaw set.

She flashed a brilliant smile at him as she looked up from beneath her long lashes. "Are you ready Zane?" She asked breathily.

His hand wrapped around the back of his neck as he tried to relax his shoulders "As I'll ever be." He replied smoothly.

The ceremony began as one of the older male councilmen began to speak, touching on what it means to be a mate, and what Lilith's future entails as the mate of the heir to the throne. They both agreed, Zane's voice smooth and even as he spoke. But I could sense the slight hitch in his words, the tightness in each syllable.

"Are each of you prepared to close the ceremony by completing the mate bond with one another?" The councilman finished.

They each nodded as they turned to face one another. Zane unbuttoned his shirt further, allowing the collar to loosen as he slipped out of his coat and handed it to Fallon, trading a grim expression before wiping it from both of their faces as quickly as it had appeared.

Zane stepped closer to Lilith, placing a hand at the back of her neck gently as he leaned forward. The room was deathly silent, his fangs suddenly showing as his nose wrinkled before he bit down into the crook of her neck, locking the mark in place before she mirrored the motion, placing her own mark into the crook of his neck.

As soon as her mark was in place, I felt a sudden stinging sensation in the place where Zane's mark was held. It was sharp and hot, before turning into a small tingle and fading completely. I wanted to see what was happening to me, and to the mark I'd been fighting so hard to hold onto, but I had to finish this. I had to see the end.

Zane retracted his fangs from her skin as she did the same, his eyes wide as stepped back from her. His jaw was tense and I could see he was not fully giving into the bond as it coursed between them, but he would lose that battle in the end. He couldn't fight what they'd just done. Whether he liked it or not, he belonged to her and she to him. Even if in name only, the bond was there.

There was a slow loud clap as Maddox walked around to face them, smirking triumphantly down at the two of them before holding his hands out to welcome the rest of the onlookers to join in. The crowd began to cheer and clap as the two turned to face them all with a nod. Lilith's face looked strained, but she was holding her smile on as she nodded to those around her. She'd seen everything through the bond they'd just forged. She'd felt every moment. Seen every loving memory he had of us.

Maddox leaned down and clapped Zane's shoulder as he spoke quietly into his ear for only him to hear. "And now I'll get what's mine returned to me at last. She'll be in my bed before the sun rises tomorrow morning. Mark my words."

Zane's face tightened as his brows furrowed angrily. He quickly wiped the scowl away but his eyes hardened as thy looked back at Maddox. "You'll never have her. Even if you find her, she's too strong for you. She'll never let you have what you want." He sneered before straightening and turning away to step beside Lilith. He nodded to his parents and Fallon before the two walked out of the room, the crowd cheering them on as the doors shut behind them.

I snapped out of the vision as quickly as it had come, my gaze adjusting back to the dimly lit room around me. My heart twisted painfully as realization of what I'd just seen sunk in.

He was hers now.

Forever.

I stepped in front of the mirror, tugging my sleep shirt to the side to expose the spot on my neck. Now, all that remained was the remnants of the damage Maddox had caused trying to remove my mark. It was gone.

Tears began to stream from my eyes, pouring down my face as sobs wracked my body. A loud series of knocks sounded against my door, hurriedly, pulling me back to full alert before jumping to my feet and rushing to the door. I opened it cautiously, keeping my hand firmly on the knob, but was shocked as a familiar pair of electric blue eyes stared back at me.

"Ehren?"