Chapter 17.

*Photo: Milo

We made our way down the long hall and quickly entered into the castle's large library. It had floor to ceiling shelves filled with books, both old and new. Wood rafters curved up the the ceiling creating beautiful warm arches as we made our way down the side leading to a back room. It was blocked by a large door which opened as Zane placed his palm on the scanner. Before I had time to process, Zane had pulled me into the room before it shut quickly behind us. Inside was a smaller room with books on each side. In the back was a large fireplace with a dark velvet couch and two leather chairs seated in front of it. To the left was a large wooden table with four matching chairs.

Zane went straight to the back left shelf, searching over the bindings for something. I found myself wandering to a shelf just behind the table, my fingers floating delicately over the bindings that were tattered and used with age. One gilded battered binding caught my eye as my fingers floated over the golden words Talentati, and I pulled it out.

"Zane I think I found it." I said quietly, gently pulling the book out with care.

Zane was at my side instantly and inspected the book before opening it. "If there's anything in here, it will be in this one." He opened the book and flipped immediately to a section in the middle of the book. It was a description of the gifts of the people, and a breakdown of their ceremonies. "Can you describe the symbols you saw? My mother did, but I want to be sure."

My eyes scanned the page and immediately began to recognize the symbols I had seen in my memory. "This is one." I said as my finger landed on the upside down crescent.

Indicates a control over the area it is placed upon. Can only be activated once one comes to full purpose.

"You said it was on your forehead? Sounds like control of the mind." He said as he read over the script.

"How am I supposed to do that?" I said softly before my eyes flitted to the next symbol of a series of lines radiating in a semicircle. "The lines under my eyes were next."

Indicates foresight, or second sight. Some can see future, past, present as it occurs elsewhere, or even alternate realities, including those of the dead. None have been known to have all abilities connected to this gift at once.

"Well that sounds lovely." I muttered. "I don't think I'd like to see the dead."

My finger immediately moved to the next one and stopped. A swirling sun. That was the last one.

Indicates ability to heal. Some can heal physically or emotionally and mentally. One was seen with entire hands covered with glowing sun and was able to heal a person of all painful feelings both internal and external with one touch.

"My fingertips were covered beneath the suns." I whispered as he sat down into the chair next to me.

I felt his hand gently slide into mine and he tugged me over to stand next to him. His free arm wrapped around my hips as he looked up at me. "We will figure this out Ana. Don't worry."

I nodded tightly. "I think I have to go back to the cave. I don't know how else I can get answers Zane."

He pulled me down into his lap and kissed me tenderly, brushing my hair away from my neck. "I will take you take you there. If you have people out there, you deserve to know."

His voice was tight and I could see that he was struggling to hide his emotion, but as quickly as I'd seen it, it was gone. If I had a family still out there, it could mean my freedom one day. But was that something I even wanted. Being with Zane gave me such a feeling of completeness. Like it was right. Like it was fated. But he had a mate coming, and she would soon take up residence both in his bed, and eventually in his heart. I knew he could only withstand the pull he'd feel to her for so long. Most felt a tolerance to their mates, even if they'd drifted apart. They'd never want to see them hurt or feel the pain of separating from them. He'd be with her forever and there was nothing I could do to change that. I'd be losing him whether he wanted it or not. I couldn't just sit around and wonder what I truly was. I couldn't hide the knowledge I knew.