Chapter 35.

*Cast: Kora

Kora lead me down the long boardwalk before we entered a tree toward the back of the village. We made our way down another dim winding staircase before coming to a landing point stopping in front of a simple wooden door. There were symbols written around the doorframe in white chalk-like paint.

Kora caught me eyeing them and chuckled. "It's just a protection charm she uses. So that no harm can come to her through this door. Nothing to be worried over." I nodded and gave her a tight smile as she opened the door. "Delphine, are you here?"

We walked through, closing the door behind us and my eyes quickly adjusted to the light change. Her work room was covered in symbols like what was on the door and colorful paintings, some of nature, some of what looked like stories. Herbs hung from the ceiling as a fire roared in the corner. Heavy wooden furniture cluttered the room, centered around a stocky work table in the center of the room.

Suddenly, the door toward the back corner of the room swung open and Delphine walked through, her arms full of books as she made her way to the table. Her eyes caught sight of us and she smiled. "Well hello. I wasn't expecting you so soon Adriana. But I'm glad you're here. Help me with these."

We both took a few of the large books from her and stacked them onto the table. They were all written in languages I couldn't understand, but I knew they were ancient. The bindings were worn and the once metallic wording was now dull and faded.

"Sorry I'm so early. I just couldn't wait any longer. I had to get started. Do something." I said.

She paused, giving me a knowing smile as her brow rose. "You saw it didn't you?"

I stopped, looking at her in confusion. How could she know? "I...did. In a dream." I answered slowly, a shiver running down my spine at the memory.

Kora dulled, watching the interaction until Delphine continued. "I did too. The dream came to my like a freight train. Like it was confirming for you. He's healed. I saw it myself." Delphine stopped short, as if she was holding back more than she had told.

"I did too." I said quietly, choosing to wait her out. If she wasn't telling, there had to be a reason.

"Adriana here was with the vampires as you know Kora." Delphine said as Kora nodded in acknowledgement. "What you don't know, is that she came from the care of the young Prince Zane. He helped her get away, and he would have paid dearly for it with his life, but our Adriana just had to save him." Delphine said with a smirk.

My breath caught in surprise, ignoring Kora's shocked expression. "How could I let him die for me? He risked everything to save me." I said on a breath, anger irking at me from the inside at her dismissive tone.

"Yes well, had they not stolen you to begin with, then you'd have never been in danger to begin with." She responded absently.

I opened my mouth to speak, but Kora spoke first. "You were with Zane?" She asked, pointing to her neck as she eyed the silvered bite mark on my neck.

I nodded slowly as I felt my throat tightening. I'd tried so hard to push down the ache in my chest every time I thought of him. But maybe she knew something about him I didn't. I craved the knowledge. The connection. "D-did you know him?"

A soft smile came across her lips as her eyes fluttered, a shadow of memory crossing her gaze. For a moment, panic rose from inside of me. Had she been a former lover of his?

"I spent decades with him. I actually was in a relationship with his best friend." She said, a tinge of sadness creeping into her words.

"Fallon?" I asked as my brows rose, relief beginning to replace that tightness.