Chapter 29.

Ana's POV

"Why the hell would I drink from you? I'm not Maddox. I don't need to steal someone's power to feel my own." He snarled, his face shrouded in shock.

I stroked his cheek gently with my fingers, pressing my forehead against his. "You're going to need every bit of help you can. He's going to torture you for taking me. He'll know. I've seen it." Zane pulled away, his eyes searching mine as if he could read my thoughts. "I saw it the moment I healed you. He's going to try and kill you when he does Zane. Please drink from me. It will save you."

He shook his head and pushed my hands away gently before standing and pacing in front of me. "What did you see?"

I sat back, drawing my knees to my chest and shivering at the memory. "I saw you strapped to a silver post with chains and your back flayed open from whipping you."

He scoffed and threw his hands in the air. "I can heal from that. It's fine. I'll..."

"The whip had silver in it. You won't heal unless you drink from me Zane." I said, pleading with him to see reason. He wouldn't survive it.

I stood and walked to stand in front of him, placing my hands on his arms to stop his movement. He stilled, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me closer. He stiffened, but held me tightly. I was sure he could smell Maddox all over me. My arms snaked around his neck as my hands reached into his hair, gently gripping his head back so he'd look at me.

"Please. I can't bear it if he kills you. You won't survive it if you don't, and I can't allow you to die for me. Not when I can stop it." My voice broke and I could see his face slowly softening, his eyes searching mine as if willing to be able to see the same vision I'd seen.

He sighed and his shoulders hunched slightly in surrender as his arms tightened around me. He picked me up and scooped me into his arms before sitting back down on the ground and cradling me in his lap. "I don't feel right about this Ana. I feel like I'm using you. That's not what I want from you. I just want you safe."

I shook my head and pulled him closer, meeting his conflicted piercing blue gaze. "You're not using me. You're letting me save you. Just let me do this." I stroked my fingers gently against his skin as he stared intensely into my eyes. "Please Zane."

His eyes softened in surrender and I could see that he was coming around. I knew that my being this close to him with Maddox's sent was intrusive to his sensitive nose, and my eyes flitted over to the pool in the middle of the cave, glowing bright blue beneath the electric blue ceiling. I gently pushed my palms against his chest and his arms locked around me like an iron grip.

I met his gaze and gave him a small smile and pushed away, standing and holding my hand out for him. "Will you help me?"

Confusion clouded his gaze and his brows furrowed, but he stood and took my hand, letting me lead him over to the pool before stopping with my toes just at the edge of the water. I dropped his hand and stepped in, letting the cool water wash over my once again warm skin until it was at my waist. I dipped down into the water, scooping up the mud from the floor and began to rinse it over my legs and stomach before pulling more to rub over my arms and chest.

Zane's face changed to something similar to realization before instantly undressing and flashing into the water with me. I gasped as he appeared in front me, the water covering just below his hips. Standing tall in front of me, my eyes couldn't help but wander from his intense eyes as they pierced down into mine, floating down his chiseled nose and full lips, following his strong jaw as it lead to his corded neck and chest before falling across his lean abs, the v of his lean waist disappearing into the water below. His beauty never failed to take my breath away.