Chapter 32.

I snapped out of the vision and stepped away, my eyes widening in shock. "How? How could this happen after everything?" I said in a breath, more to myself but Delphine answered as if she'd heard me clearly.

"If you don't come with me now child, that is the future before you and everyone around you." She said smoothly, as if she was stating the weather.

I shook my head and looked back at Zane who was still processing the visions he'd seen. "Zane, if I don't, you'll all die. I don't have any other choice."

He snapped his eyes up to me, suddenly alert before turning back to face Delphine. "And have you seen a future if she chooses to go with you? Is she safe?" His voice was tight and I could tell he was hurting at the thought that we may never see each other again. Knowing this time may truly be the end. I was feeling the very same thing.

She nodded slowly. "I have, and she will be safe with me. We will take care of her."

He thought for a moment before nodding once shortly. Zane walked over to stand in front of me, taking my hands in his and bringing them to his lips as he placed a soft kiss against my fingers. "You're going with her. If it's the only way to keep you safe, I will gladly give you up. I won't risk your life just to keep you close to me. I can let you go knowing you will live." His eyes were glassed with unshed tears and my chest tightened at the thought that this may truly be the last time I ever see him.

"But will the others be safe as well?" I asked, suddenly realizing she hadn't clarified the rest of the path ahead of us.

She sighed and thought for a moment before finally answering, her black eyes clouded in memory. "It is a long road ahead, but yes, they will be safe in the end. War is coming young prince. Be ready."

Zane's body was rigid our hands stayed planted against his chest. My chest was tightening with every moment and I was instantly filled with worry for him and everyone I was leaving behind. He snapped back to face me, wrapping his strong arm securely around me as he pulled me tightly against him. His head dropped as he pressed his forehead against mine, breathing in slowly as his eyes closed. I fought back the tears threatening to fall as I did the same, trying to hold on to this moment, freezing it in time.

"Ana, she said we will all be fine. Don't worry about us. Go find your people. Learn your gifts. You owe yourself that much after everything you've been through. Leave all this behind and start a new life. Promise." His voice was quiet, barely a whisper as his hand gripped against my back. I nodded shortly as a tear broke free, streaking down my cheek. "Say it baby. Out loud."

I let out a breath and reluctantly obeyed. "I promise, Zane."

His arm loosened around me as his hand reached up, cupping my face and pulling me to look into his piercing blue stare. His own gaze was swirling with emotion as he looked down at me before bringing my lips up to meet his in a soft kiss. I felt it deepen for just a moment as he poured what was left of our goodbye into the kiss before finally breaking, pressing his forehead against mine. "You will be incredible." He whispered before pressing a gentle kiss against my forehead.

A quiet sob escaped as I hugged him tighter, not wanting to let him go. "I love you Zane." I said in a broken whisper as I buried my face into his chest, letting his comforting scent wash over me.

"I love you too Ana. And I'll never forget you." He said tightly as he brushed a hand through the back of my hair.

"I'm sorry to interrupt but we must go. Someone's discovered her missing and they're following your trails here. It won't be long now." Delphine said quickly.

I felt Zane's gold tighten for a fraction of a second before he reluctantly pulled away, taking my hands in his as he walked me over to Delphine. "You will watch over her and keep her safe." He said, more as a statement than a request.

She smirked up at him, as if she was looking at any other normal human being. "Young prince, she will be the one protecting us all one day."

My eyes widened and I felt my heart stutter as I looked back at her confident grin. How could that be true?

"Come. They won't be able to enter here. There's a protection enchantment, but once they get close they'll know you're nearby and we must hurry or else they'll find us all." Delphine held her hand out for me to take and I hesitated, looking back up at Zane one last time.

"I will be fine. You gave me your blood remember? She's seen it. You have to go now." His face was neutral, but I could see the worry in his eyes. He was being forced to place a lot of trust in something out of his control and he didn't like it. I couldn't say I was such a big fan either.

I nodded shortly and pushed up on my toes to place a kiss on his lips once more before letting go of his hand and stepping closer to Delphine. I held his gaze as I felt her hand slide into mine, and then suddenly we were gone. Darkness surrounded us and I could see nothing but pure black. Zane's piercing blue stare was the last thing burned into my memory and I wanted to hold onto it forever.

In a few moments, the darkness began to swirl and fade, giving way to light as it broke through one ray at a time until finally we were engulfed in it. The light dimmed and began to reveal a lush green forest surrounding us, with trees taller than any building I'd ever seen. It took me a few seconds to adjust, swaying slightly as we took a step forward.

"That's normal child. Don't worry. You'll get used to it." Delphine said as she took a gentle hold on my elbow, urging me forward down a moss padded path.

"Where are we?" I finally forced out.

"Somewhere secret. Magical. We're completely hidden from the outside world. No one can find us here." She looked over her should at me with a look of seriousness. "You're safe." She spoke as if she was fulfilling a promise. Which one I wasn't sure.

As we came around a series of curves in the path, we approached a towering tree, wider than at least two dozen people surrounding it. Delphine walked up and placed her hand against the trunk, closing her eyes and whispering. Suddenly, her hand flowed gold and the trunk began to shift and move. I gasped as Delphine stepped away, taking my arm once more as she waited. The trunk was twisting and separating to create an opening in the middle, as if it was alive and had been waiting for us all along.

"How did you do that?" I said in surprise.

She grinned at me before facing back to he tree as she spoke. "One day you will too."

As the tree's opening widened, I could see an entirely different place hidden within it, as if it was disguised from behind the tree from anyone else walking by. My heart pounded in my chest as my eyes tried to take in what I was witnessing. This was pure magic happening right in front of me.

The tree stilled and I felt Delphine begin tugging me gently forward toward the opening, slowly walking me through as my brain tried to absorb what was actually happening. As we stepped through, my wonder turned to shock. An entire village was hidden inside, something that housed at least several hundred people. How could this be? How could this many people be able to disappear and keep their secret safe from the rest of the world. Everyone thought they were dead.

I didn't understand what was in front of me, but I knew one thing. I had to find out who I was and how I fit here. I owed it to Zane to not waste the life he'd given back to me. I owed it to myself.