Chapter 44.

*I hope you all had an incredible holiday season and an even happier New Year! I know you've all been anxiously awaiting an update and I appreciate the patience while I enjoyed time traveling and visiting my family over Christmas and for the New Year's holiday.

As a treat, I have several updates, so sit back and enjoy because it's going to start getting bumpy after this first bit of updates!

Ehren's POV

Chaos immediately engulfed the room, everyone suddenly leading with their emotions and reacting. 

"If this is true then we have to get her out of here. Now." I said, my words cutting through the tension surrounding us like a knife.

Kora jumped to her feet, glaring back at me. "It's her choice Ehren. If she wants to go back, I'll be right beside her. And you know you will too. You can't stop her." Her words were the truth I didn't want to hear, leaving me scoffing back at her as I paced in front of the fireplace.

"Fuck. I know!" I yelled as Thaddeus jumped from the stairs to stand in front of Delphine.

"You've seen this too? You've seen this to be true?" His deep voice boomed as he towered over the priestess.

Aurelia sat in place on the stairs, her face pulled into a frown as her eyes hardened.

"Yes sir. What the girl has seen will come to pass. I've seen it myself." Delphine confirmed, her face grim as she spoke.

"I won't stand for it. I won't allow this to happen." His voice low and menacing. "I'll take her back to the village and she will be protected for as long as she lives."

"Sire, I'm afraid you can't stop it. The path has already been set into motion." Delphine said quietly, her head bowing as she rung her hands.

Thaddeus threw his hands in the air in frustration before stomping out of the room, slamming the door hard behind him and sending a vibration through the entire room.

"Maybe we should all get some rest. If what Ana's seen is true, she'll want to leave immediately." Aurelia said.

I nodded curtly, my eyes searching up the stairs as if I could will myself to see her after she'd run from the room. "You two will take my room. I will be fine down here." I said shortly before flashing up the stairs, stopping short in front of Ana's door.

I could hear her inside, her steps quick as she paced. She was processing, but I had to speak to her. I had to help somehow. My hand seemed to knock on its own, the sound coming short as she yanked open the door.

Her eyes were wild and her hair was disheveled as if she'd been running her fingers through those long bouncing waves over and over again. I stepped inside, quickly shutting the door behind me as she spoke.

"Ehren I have to go. You know that. I have to help them. How could I live with myself, knowing what I know and just leave them to die?" Her words were quick, tumbling out of her mouth as she faced me. "I don't understand what happened. Delphine saw it. She'd said in the cave that they'd be safe." She gritted her teeth in frustration.

Those deep emerald orbs stared back at me as if she genuinely needed something from me. Craving my guidance.

I shook my head, stepping closer to her. "You can't stay Ana. I know you won't stay. No matter how much I wish you would." My voice dropped lower, speaking out on a breath.

"You can't protect me from this Ehren. It's going to all be over five days from now whether we like it or not." She said, her eyes fluttering down as the space between us charged with electricity. Her long black lashes fanned against her cheeks, resting delicately as she spoke. She was stunning.