A Reason To Fall

After everything that was said and done, the girls were students so it was back to reality for them. Schoolwork welcomed them back after their little adventure to stopping attacks for their group after they discovered a little bit of an illegal operation. Another normal day for Team RWBY right?

And another one was just right ahead. Today, was the start of the practicals which meant first years like them were going to start their missions and were graded by their professors in their given missions.

"So what do you think, girls? Where will we start?" Yang asked as they all gathered around the boards in the middle of the hall where most of the students gathered around to see what missions were available to do. 

Weiss looked around, lugging her weapon by her waist and scanning the nearby boards. "What about clearing missions? We can do a few of them and get more credits." She suggested, looking at the three other girls. 

"That seems reasonable but won't material gathering and area security be better? It won't be boring and we get to compete against each other." Blake suggested as she eyes the one that was down by the marina where they pull in the fish catches. 

"Pssshh...how about we help out deliveries? We get to travel far up to Haven!" Ruby told them, pointing at the few that were listed for their year level. "Besides, we have professors supervising so it won't be hard, right?" She asked. 

The girls had to discuss among themselves what missions could they do for their first. It was about to turn to a heated debate that didn't, thanks to Professor  Goodwitch who showed up at the right time. 

"Team RWBY?" She called out, looking at the bunch who are ready to throw punches at each other from the discussion of picking missions. They all straightened out upon hearing the blonde professor call up to them. 

"You've already been assigned a mission from Professor Ozpin." She told them.

This was confusing for the whole team but seeing that this was from Ozpin himself, they didn't see why would they turn it down. It was practically an order exclusively for their team alone so why not?

An infestation of Grimm. That was a good reason for them to refuse. Being unsupervised by a professor is another too.

Team RWBY was sent to the outskirts and the furthest corner of Vale's jurisdiction where they were instructed to Clear out a small town where people have been reported to be stuck due to the increasing amount of large Grimm that surrounded the area. 

From the air, the team could see the population of the monsters that roamed the vicinity and when they were dropped off, they underestimated it. 

"We'll pick you up in three days. Just send out an SOS if you need extraction." Said the pilot that dropped the girls off at a nearby forest clearing a few kilometers away from the town. 

Thus, the start of their mission.  Ruby and Yang made sure to go ahead of the team, Blake scouting ahead at the treetops and the canopy to warn them of any Grimm that might cause them trouble upon entering the town. 

A few smaller ones came around to try to get them as food but they finished them off quickly as not to disrupt their time in trying to enter the area. Thank the gods that they managed to get in and sneak to an area with a lesser Grimm population to check if there were signs of life in the place at all. 

"This place is abandoned. Did Glynda think someone was here?" Blake told them as she stood on top of a house that was burned down, the wooden frames of the roof and the steel foundations were all that was left of the building. 

Weiss felt something bad in her gut and looked around, trying to pinpoint what was causing the uncomfortable feeling that was growing in her chest but she couldn't find anything odd other than the amount of larger Grimm around them.