Deep End

Three days.

It's been three days since the attack and Weiss have woken up in the mansion's infirmary from being beaten up completely. She remembers everything that happened the other night and how she lost all control and sense that she killed a man that tried to take her life.

Throughout her recovery, Ruby stayed by her side but said nothing, eyes simply gazing at her from the side of the room. The heiress didn't have to say anything to her to show how upset she still is. Given that the vampire said nothing just yet, Weiss was not willing to speak a single word towards Ruby until she tells her the truth.

Unfortunately, Ruby was not patient enough to wait for Weiss to speak to her. She did well without anyone in that urn and she didn't owe anything to Weiss. But why did it make her chest aches so much of the thought? How come her conscience wouldn't allow her to do that?

Walking out of the infirmary, Ruby tried to take a breather and walk around the manor for a while to gather her thoughts.

Weiss watched her leave and didn't say a word to her as she exited the room. The heiress returned to reading her book, one from the family archives.

These books, they contained passed on family history, journals of the heads of the Schnee family from generations ago. Secrets, affairs, shameful acts, battle plans and encounters. Everything was written for her to read.

This one was from her ancestor, A Queen that was cursed with the power of ice. The third queen. Khione Schnee.

Weiss had a fascination with her life and this journal alone. What she discovered from her was unnatural and odd. An understatement. It was because of her that the future generations after had been born with the power of ice.  To Queen Khione, this was not a curse but a gift.

With her power, she ruled and expanded the kingdom and fought for the minerals it possessed. She fought wars against humans and grimm and won to expand. With her gift, she helped other fae have a home and incriminate those who sun them. Under her rule, equality was applied well and this astonished young Weiss. Back then, her father kept telling her that its because of her that the kingdom was corrupted. She knew so little back then.

Weiss looked up, her mind distant and traveling to possibilities and off of the thought of Ruby. Perhaps she forced the girl's hand harshly. Perhaps. In her book, however, promises are not meant to be broken. Her family have taught her to maintain integrity and stick to their word, and even in twisted ways, they do stick to their word of promise.

Ruby gave her a promise not to hide secrets that need to be known but she broke that. Weiss knew that it may be hard to do it but she should have known better than to trust a witch-vampire hybrid.

The book snapped loudly as it closed in her hands, her eyes simply gazing off. The loud sound made Ruby jump from the door as she entered with tea. What time was it? She didn't exactly know as the lights in the infirmary were bright throughout her whole stay.

The startled huntress gave her a look of surprise before realizing that she met eyes with Weiss. Her silver eyes drifted to the floor, standing still at the doorway, as Weiss gave her a stare of contempt.

"Are you going to just let the tea steep too long or you're going to share?" Weiss asked and opened the book again.

To the huntress, her soft speaking voice was enough to tell her to get her shameful ass in the room and at least give Weiss some tea. The heiress have scolded her enough for that reason alone, this time it can be avoided.

Weiss kept reading on about Queen Khione in the Schnee journal as Ruby kept herself busy to pour one for the princess. It was easy to believe that she was innocent and simply concentrating to read but her silence was hard to ignore. The huntress didn't notice it until recently but seeing as she is a curious girl, she tends to keep asking questions but the silence goes a long way to make everyone nervous.