Chapter One Hundred-Fifteen

AN: Before I get on with the next SBI chapter, I want to take a minute here, for a much-needed author's note. It's going to be sappy, so naturally, it's not a mandatory read.

Today, as pretty much everyone knows by now, Olli came out in a press conference, and announced that he has a tumor on his thyroid that has an 85% chance of being cancerous. He discussed it, saying he feels fine, and that he should recover well, and be back to his usual self within a few weeks. In addition, his doctor promised that this should not impact his health long-term.

And, while I am completely over the moon that he's going to make a full recovery, I'm also extremely distraught by this entire ordeal. In fact, just after I found out, I dropped to my knees, sobbing.

I don't need to say this, it's pretty well understood, but Olli means a lot to me. A lot, a lot. That boy is my second favorite human to walk the Earth. I love him with every fiber in my being, and while he's 'just a hockey player' to some, he's so much more to me.

I was graced with the honor of getting to see Olli be drafted, in Pittsburgh, on June 22nd, 2012. It's safe to say I was smitten from the start. From there on out, my obsession just sort of snowballed out of control.

A year and a half ahead, I was fortunate enough to be at CEC, attending the game versus the Canucks; the one in which he scored the first NHL goal of his career. After that, I was even more certain that he was destined to be my favorite player.

I simply cannot convey to you how much Olli Maatta means to me. It sounds cheesy, but it's the truth (just ask anyone who knows me). I love Olli Maatta more than my own family, without ever having met him. If that doesn't speak volumes, what does?

I am so fucking proud of Olli, and how well he's handled this. The idea that he's known since training camp, and has kept it under wraps, playing with it moves me to the point where I can't even think of any words to accurately describe my feelings.

Olli is such a courageous, determined guy, that there is not a doubt in my mind that says he won't kick cancer's ass, because we all know damn-well he will. Not just because of statistics, but because of who he is, as a person.

So, for tomorrow, I challenge you to write a heart, the number 3, and Olli's initials (OM) on your left wrist. Let's show just how much we support Olli.

Just, the point to this incoherent rambling is that starting today, and up until the day he laces up his skates, pulls on his jersey, snaps his helmet, and heads onto the ice for his first game after the recovery, I fight for Olli Maatta.

Chapter One Hundred-Fifteen: Olli's POV

We had been out, walking along the sandy shore of Lake Erie for just a few moments, before a clap of thunder boomed above us, and rain began to pour.

It was almost cliched, in an unfortunate way. My adorably dorky wife, however, didn't seem to mind, whatsoever.

"I love rain!" She cheered happily, as beads of water pounded against us, washing away the remaining makeup she had from the ceremony.

I playfully rolled my eyes. "You're a geek, honey. An adorable, silly geek."

And she really was. My wife was not like one of those chicks straight out of a magazine, with a face full of makeup, a head full of bleached hair, and pieces of cloth draped around their body, hardly constituting as clothes. Alex never wore makeup, usually had her hair in a ponytail, and constantly had on thick-knit sweaters, sweats, and sneakers. Alex wasn't flashy, or gaudy. Alex was just herself, and I think that's what I loved most.