Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen: Olli's POV

Jayson and I left the hotel, and started walking down the street. I had on my blue and red, plaid, button down, a pair of jeans, and a pair of Converse. The exact same outfit I wore on my first date with Alex.

We were heading to some downtown, Italian restaurant for the 'team bonding' meal. My palms were sweaty, and my mind was racing. I was so nervous that I'd slip up, and say something about Alex.

We walked into the restaurant, and instantly saw most of the guys sitting at a long, tablecloth-covered table in the back. We made our way to the table, and a bunch of the guys yelled out greetings. I'd say at least half of them were already drunk.

Jayson took a seat next to team captain, Sidney Crosby, while I sat across from Sid, next to Jussi. The four of us made polite small talk for a few minutes, before James came in.

He approached the table, and pulled out the chair next to mine from under the table.

"Anyone sitting here?" He asked.

I shook my head, and he plopped down next to me.

The mind-numbing chit-chat continued on for another good twenty minutes, before an interesting topic came up: Alex.

"So, guys, tomorrow is my baby sister Alex's first day of college." James reported.

"She nervous?" Sid asked, taking a bite of his salad.

"Yeah. I don't get it, though. She's been gabbing about college since we were kids."

I tried to keep my head down, not wanting anyone to know Alex was my girlfriend.

"What's she studying?" Jayson asked.

"Pre-med." James replied. "Wants to be an oncologist."

I continued to stare down at my plate, and ate my lettuce. To be completely honest, the salad was terrible. It seemed like the chefs had just pulled weeds out from the back garden, and thrown them in a dish, along with some weird-ass cheese.

"Something a matter?" Jussi asked.

I looked up from my plate, and shook my head.

"No, nothing's wrong."

"You're awfully quiet." Jayson remarked, really not helping.

I ignored him, and sipped my water.

James continued to drone on about how proud he was of Alex, and how he still remembered when she just a little girl. I couldn't help but think how not-proud he would've been if he knew she was dating me, behind his back.

"Olli actually got to meet Alex, today." Jussi interjected.

I nodded, and forced a smile. "Yeah she, uh, she seems pretty sweet."

Immediately regretting my comment, I drew my attention back to my plate.

Dinner continued on for hours.

By the third hour, however, goaltenders Marc-Andre Fleury, and Jeff Zatkoff had livened things up by performing a rousing duet of, 'Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better'.

The mood around the table was light, and airy, but it remained a bit awkward between James and I. Finally, at just before midnight, the restaurant needed to close, so we were all kicked out. The guys all went there separate ways, and Jayson and I headed back to the hotel together.

"You were really timid, tonight." He told me. "Seemed, almost, uncomfortable. You ok?"

I nodded, "I'm just fine. No need to worry." Lying about my emotions was one of my strengths. I had done it so many times as a kid, I could do it without even thinking twice, now.

Jayson eyed me suspiciously, but didn't say anything else. A few minutes later, we had arrived at our hotel, and were back in our room.

I laid my phone, and wallet on the nightstand, as I popped into the bathroom to brush my teeth, and wash my face. When I walked out of the bathroom a few minutes later, I saw Jayson, sitting on the bed, my phone in his hand, eyes wide.

"Jayson?" I asked, confused as to what he was doing.

"That's why you were so quiet." He whispered. "You didn't have anything to say. There was nothing you could say. You're dating James's sister," He looked up at me. "Aren't you?"

I shifted, uncomfortably. "Look.."
"Olli!" He was on the verge of yelling. "Are you dating James' sister?"

I nodded, slowly. "Yes."

He exhaled, and looked nothing-short- of shocked.

"You, you can't tell anyone, especially not James, ok?"

Barely audible, he mumbled, "So that's who you've been spending all that time with. With one of your teammate's sisters."

I nodded, again. "Do not tell anyone, ok?"

Jayson sat there, in shock, for a moment, before nodding slowly, whispering, "Ok."