5. Princess Mallaina of Domino

CHAPTER 5

I walked towards Adrian's room, thoughtlessly. I pushed the huge purple door and tried to enter his room but the door wouldn't open. 'No one can come in, without my consent' his words came back to me.

"Shit" I swore, standing outside the door, staring at the magically airborne crystalline chandelier.

"What are you doing here? Are you the new maid?", a voice came from behind. I instantly turned around to see the owner of the voice. It was a small girl, probably in her teens, looking at me mockingly.

"I'm sorry, I'm Rose", I said stretching my hand out and introducing myself automatically with a smile.

"Yuckks", she jumped behind, gazing at me from up to down. Yuckks?

"How dare you?", she said "How dare you, stretch your hand out to the Princess...who the hell are you?", she barked.

I was rendered speechless by her bitterness. She spat venom in every single word of hers.

"Mallaina...", someone called from behind her. I racked my neck to see the newcomer now.

It was Adrian, who was rushing towards us. "Check your words Mallaina, this is the 'to be crowned Guardian of Domino Rose Eldar'", he warned her. I eyed him for his long stretchy introduction of me to this stranger. Wait she said she was a Princess. Does that mean? " She's your sister", I voiced my thoughts out softly.

"What?" she gasped out, eyeing me "What the hell are you wearing?" she asked, hysterically laughing.

"Shut up Mallaina, you are my sister that's the only reason I'm leaving you now, otherwise you wouldn't be in a condition to talk to her like this", he spat out.

I have never seen Adrian talking so fiercely to anyone. I slowly reached for his hands and locked them between my fingers. It worked, he closed his eyes for a moment and let a huge sigh out before starting to walk towards his room.

Mallaina kept staring at me for a few more moments. Then she walked back the other way.

"Adrian", I called out for him. I pushed the door open and walked towards him, who was now standing near the window gazing outside.

"Adrian?", I called out to him softly.

"I'm sorry for her", he said automatically.

"For what?", I asked him forcing a  smiling.

He didn't answer back immediately but turned his attention back on something outside the window.

"She is not like me or my mother", he said softly. "she is more like my father", he finished. He didn't say anything further but didn't have to. I understood what he was trying to say.

"You know what?" I told him, now walking towards him and fixing my gaze out. "I never saw my parents, I didn't have a family. But I always wanted one", I told him. "Whenever couples used to come for adopting one of us. I used to pray, that it should be me. But it never happened", I told him, turning towards him now. Those dark grey eyes watched me closely now. "I don't know, how it feels like to have a family. Everyone doesn't get what they want. But you have a beautiful family Adrian. Just..." I paused looking for correct words. "Just cherish each moment with them", I completed teary-eyed.

I didn't say anything further, nor did he. I wanted to meet my parents, I wanted to hug them, I wanted to at least know how they looked, or even their names so that I could carry it ahead. If I could just see them for once.

I was drowned in my own thoughts. The sun was ready to set. The orangish-red rays reflected back on the golden panes of his window and illuminated his room brighter. Adrian locked his fingers between mine, and I bent my head down slightly to support them on his shoulders. I do not know how long we stayed there like that, maybe for minutes...maybe for hours. But I wanted to stay there at that moment with him like that, forever.

A sweet voice, from outside finally brought us back to reality.

"Adrian?"

"Yes, mother come in", and like that the door opened.

The beautiful lady who was seated beside the king in the throne room entered. I couldn't see her properly back then, but now I could clearly see her. I could clearly see from where Adrian inherited his beautiful dark grey eyes. The woman was just beautiful, with dark brown curls that flowed up to her hips, and her round face...she was just perfect. She looked like a real queen. She looked like royalty.

"I thought you'd be here", she addressed me directly, with a sweet smile.

I immediately bowed in front of her and said "ye...yes my queen".

"No...no," she said shoving her hand "Call me lily", she said letting a soft laugh.

I turned towards Adrian, who nodded at me and let a small smile. He walked towards his mother and put his arms over her shoulders.

"Is my son troubling you Rose?", she asked me, with a broad smile.

"No my qu...lily...no" I rumbled.

"You need not be so nervous around me Rose", she told me, now coming closer.

"You are one beauty", she said, nodding with a huge smile.

"Thank you..." "Yes, I know", Adrian said dreamily.

I looked at him wide-eyed. Oh crap! What is wrong with him?

"I...I meant the sunset...mother", he said immediately, pulling his mother towards the windowpane.

"Yes, it is", she replied. She didn't notice the sunset but. I knew it because I caught her studying me in a scrutinizing way by the side of her eyes. After a few seconds, she spoke again.

"Oh! I forgot the reason with which I came to meet you Rose", she started again.

"You need a dress for tomorrow, don't you?", she asked me smiling. Yeah! The Queen smiles a lot, it reminds me of Olivia for some weird reason.

"No, mother..", I stopped, stunned by the word that slipped out from my mouth. What was I thinking? Calling the queen, mother? Oh no! Shit! Shit! I closed my eyes getting ready for some scolding. But no, she didn't say anything.

"If that's what you want to call me, you can call me as your mother from now on", she said sweetly.

The moment was awkward, I didn't have words anymore. I exchanged glances with Adrian, he was continuously gesturing me to calm down.

"Go to the palace parlor, you will find everything there", she told me turning back and now starting to walk.

When she reached the door, she came to a halt and turned back again.

"I was expecting my daughter Mallaina to assist you, but she...she is a bit busy with tomorrow's preparation, so I assume it will be you Adrian, who will be assisting her?", she asked him.

What she didn't know was that he would never miss any opportunity that he could get to spend with me, no matter how boring it was...even shopping.

"Yes mother," he said nodding his head "Anything for my Ro....guest", he corrected himself instantly. I wanted to laugh at his lame editing effort. Thankfully Lily didn't notice it.

With that, she walked out of the room.

"So let's go and find a gown for this Princess", he said grasping my hand and leading me out.

"Yeah, that's the only thing left", I rolled my eyes.

**************************************

Don't forget to vote guys😜