Chapter 18

Lupus

Lupus rushed upstairs, his heart racing. He needed his weapons, and he couldn't wait on them. "Knives! Come to me!" He shouted, calling his blades to him. With lightning speed, he strapped on the sheaths and then got ready to make his way out the door.

As he was about to rush out the door to Qibli, Star stopped him. "Hey, I read the letter." She said, looking at him with a concerned look. "Can I tag along to help?" She asked hesitantly, looking down to the floor and shuffling nervously.

"I don't see why not" Lupus said, pulling a wing around her. Star brightened up instantly, and she smiled. "Alright, I'll go get my stuff!" She exclaimed, bounding off to her room to gear up.

Lupus stared back out the door. Somewhere out there, Kinkajou was dying, and Moon and Qibli needed him. He felt a deep tug in his gut at the thought of what his visions told him could happen next. The futures where Darkstalker came, soon. Lupus had so many visions about what happened, and all of them where he fought Darkstalker ended in darkness. Of course, if he didn't fight, the visions he saw of him losing his friends and them being turned into mindless slaves for Darkstalker's sick twisted goals didn't seem too appetizing either.

He was pulled out of the worry by Star, who had slipped back up next to him and twined her tail around his. Her mind was darting from future to future, trying to see one where they all lived. Lupus leaned into her, sighing. He knew this ride was coming to an end, and very soon at that.

"Ready?" She asked him in a soft voice. Lupus nodded, for some reason enjoying being this close to Star. He saw countless futures where he told her about how he felt, and most of them resulted in her saying she felt the same way. He wanted to, but at the same time he knew they probably didn't have much time left together before it happened. It, well as in the thing of his visions and nightmares.

Sighing quietly, he reluctantly pulled away from her and started through the door, shutting it once both of them had gone through.

"The hospital's this way," he explained, leading Star through the twisting streets of Possibility.

"Poor Kinkajou, I hope she'll get better soon," the hybrid dragoness replied worriedly. "They said she wasn't in a very good condition..."

"She'll be fine," Lupus said firmly, his expression one of determination.

"I hope..." Star trailed off, looking thoughtful.

I hope? Lupus thought to himself. There are so many things to hope for, these days. I hope Darkstalker never gets out? I hope all my friends will survive the next few weeks? He sighed. There's just too long a list, really.

They arrived at the hospital, and a MudWing ushered them in to Kinkajou's ward. "She isn't doing too good." The doctor explained, and Lupus walked over and took Kinkajou's talon in his. If only I could just use my magic. He thought desperately, but hesitated. There were other futures where this little RainWing got better, and they turned out much better for all of the Jade Winglet. Plus, he saw a rather interesting future where a certain SeaWing named Turtle fell in love with her, well, after a bunch of drama, of course.

Lupus let go of his friend and felt someone twine their tail around his. Star had slipped up next to him and now was pulling a wing around him, comforting him. "Let's find Qibli, okay?" She said, and from peering into the futures, along with Star's mind, he could tell Star didn't want Lupus to be upset. It wasn't a feeling of jealousy or anything. She just cared for him and didn't want him to be like this.

Lupus nodded and let go of Kinkajou. He hoped for the best for her, but there was nothing he could do without affecting the timelines. He turned to the doctor, and asked quietly, "Do you know where Qibli is?"