Prologue to Chapter 18

A SandWing stalked thru the Rainforest.

She had one mission, and one job.

Find what she was looking for, and return it to her master.

She looked over the small map she was given, and thought expectantly of the gold she would get for finding this lost treasure.

Her wings buffeted the leaves and vines, and she sighed in frustration. Why did it have to be hidden in the deepest part of the Rainforest? What was so important about it that it needed such kind of protection? She pushed away the doubt. She was a bounty hunter, nothing more, nothing less. She did the job.

When the mysterious dragon had come to her, asking for her help, he spoke nothing of who he was or what had happened to him. They called him The Alchemist, and he was the best dragon on the continent that could do what he did. His master saw no limits, and soon would join him, as he had said.

People asked her what her name was, and to be honest, she had one, but she chose not to use it. Since faking her death, she had resorted to bounty hunting, and also planning revenge.

The dragon pushed aside some branches to reveal a small cave, which was where the map said to go. This seemed to be it, and she eagerly slipped into the cavern.

The cave was studded with jewels in the rocks, mostly blues and purples, that glowed malevolently. In the center of the cave was a chest, and according to her client, this was the chest she needed. Another one sat next to it, making a rather weird anomaly.

One chest was black, and the other was stark white.

She guessed one was bad and one was good, and she dismissed the thought of taking the white one.

She took up the black chest in her arms and hauled it back on a long flight to the small cave in the Claws of the Clouds Mountains, and landed, walking inside.

Her client, a MudWing, approached her, a blindfold over his eyes. "Ah, is that my requested item?" he asked, running a talon over the chest. "It is." the dragon responded, holding out a talon for payment.

The MudWing mutely went back to the back of the cave where he had been before she had arrived and went to count thru a bag of gold. The dragon approached him, and looked over his shoulder.

The MudWing turned, with a knife in his talons. She backed up, startled. "We had a deal!" she exclaimed, pleading for him to not hurt her.

The MudWing pressed her against the wall and drew the knife across her throat, gently cutting her. "Why yes my dear, yes we did" he said, smiling evily. "But you see, I cannot let a former mafia godmother run free" his voice had changed, and he slipped off the blindfold, revealing a pair of stark black eyes, which seemed to fall into an endless void.

He drove the knife in to her chest, and she roared out in pain, pushing and clawing, attempting to break free. His grip was firm, and she couldn't shake him. Slowly, blackness enveloped her, and she faded away into nothing.

The Alchemist pulled the blade out of The Saint's chest. "One down." said, smiling with a slight hint of eagerness in the other voice that had become his.

"Soon I will be raised." the other voice added, looking to the chest, which had been opened slightly. He walked to it, opening the chest up to see what was inside.

A cold obsidian eye stared back at him, and his face broke into an eviler grin than ever.