Chapter 14

Lupus knew what he was doing before it even happened. Quickly, he dove under the SeaWing, catching her in his arms.

She exclaimed out loudly, "Eeep!". The other dragon, who Lupus determined to be Paragon, rushed over. "Tiger! You lucky goose!" He exclaimed, scowling at her. Lupus laughed and gently let the young SeaWing down. She was about his size, and judging from her looks, just about the same age too. Her scales were an odd orange color, and Lupus assumed her to be a hybrid. Paragon was rather larger than Tigerfish, and Lupus assumed that he was a few years older than her. His scales were an odd mix of an IceWing's blue scales, and a SkyWings red scales.

Tigerfish bumped Paragon playfully. "That was fun! Can I do it again?" She asked, and Lupus noticed she was actually SHAKING with energy. Oh dear. He thought. Looking thru her mind, he noticed she had been thru a lot, and was actually using this "made up/ cover up" personality to hide it all.

I gotta get her to open up. Lupus mused, looking at the pair thoughtfully. This entire time while Lupus was deep in thought, Tigerfish was continuously asking the larger dragon if she could climb onto the roof. Paragon was unbudging though, and his firm "No" did not change. Oddly, he seemed rather protective of Tigerfish, as Lupus noticed, and Lupus assumed they were close, and possibly even a couple.

Tigerfish got bored and eventually turned to Lupus. Here we go... he thought, expecting her to ask if she could climb onto the roof of his house.

Unexpectedly, she asked something else. "What's your name?" She said, her eyes suddenly serious. The corners of Lupus's mouth turned to a warm grin. Maybe she would open up to him! "It's Lupus." He responded, and added. "I'd assume you are Tigerfish, and your friend is Paragon?"

Tigerfish nodded and smirked. "Alright I know you think you know what I'm going to ask, but I'm gonna surprise you. Instead of climbing the outside of the mansion, can I climb the inside?" She asked. Lupus looked confused for a minute. Tiger giggled and her hotshot personality vanished again, replaced by the serious one Lupus had seen just moments ago.

"Alright silly! I'm gonna ask a bit more straightforward. Can WE COME AND STAY IN THE MANSION?" She asked, and Paragon's face broke out in confused shock. His mind chimed out in a quiet note. Does she not- he thought, but the rest of it was cut off, as strong shields appeared in his mind.

Lupus considered the request. "Well, I do have plenty of room. What do you think, Paragon?" He asked, turning to the larger dragon. Paragon smiled sheepishly and stuttered out an answer. "W-Well....it's up to Tigerfish." His thoughts decieved his words. What about the home I made for us, Tigerfish?

Tigerfish kinda knew what Paragon meant. "Para, it's okay." She said. "Lupus seems nice, and we were talking about trying to find a family, maybe this is it, Para!"

Paragon nodded thoughtfully. After a bit of thinking he obliged, but most of his reason for saying yes was for Tigerfish, hoping she'd like him more.

Lupus led the pair inside, with surprising Paragon close on his heels. Every single question he asked was about the house. How safe it was, how big it was, and up to the point of Paragon asking how many enemies Lupus had. "Well, none I can think of at the moment." Lupus had responded, and Paragon nodded, his brain as Lupus noticed, taking a note of this.
Probably to see if he was actually telling the truth? Lupus didn't know. Paragon seemed to really want to protect Tigerfish, and every chance he got, he was oddly checking to see if Tigerfish was okay, as if something could jump out of the shadows and take her from him.

Lupus made a note of that. He would have to keep them together, or Paragon would freak out. Someday, maybe soon, he would have a talk with the bigger dragon, and see what was up between him and Tigerfish.