Chapter 15

Lupus woke to find himself in a dark cell.

He was chained to a wall with large iron manacles. His snout was muzzled shut, and his wings were clasped so if he were to get all the other restraints off, he still wouldn't be able to fly away.

What a wonderful way to start the day.

He scanned his surroundings. Keen, fearful eyes searching the dark, drab place that was currently his prison. There was a door across from him, wraught of heavy wood and reinforced with iron. Can't get out that way, he thought desperately.

As a desperate move, Lupus struggled in his shackles. He noticed that surprisingly, the left one on his back leg was actually loose. His heart raced with a sudden feeling of rescue. He could break free!

He wiggled it a bit more, and finally it snapped open. Lupus stretched his newly freed leg, and smiled. All he had to go were three more limbs and then he would be free.

A bit of tugging showed that the other manacles weren't coming off as easily, unfortunately. With his free leg, he tried to claw at the chains holding his other limb in place, to no avail.

How am I supposed to get free? he wondered, searching the cell for some sort of tool.

Nothing presented itself, so he was left to brainstorming for other ideas. A sudden commotion from somewhere outside of the cell distracted him before he could get far, though.

It sounded like someone was fighting, but he couldn't tell much more than that. Whatever it was, the sound faded, and Lupus was left alone.

Come on, Lupus, he berated himself. You can do this! Think of something!

He sat there for a few more minutes, feeling hopeless. Even if we do manage to escape, we have no clue where we are. He realized, his brain going back to the market with Star and Python, before they were captured.

After what seemed like hours, but was probably only a couple minutes, Lupus heard a rustling sound outside his cell. A rusty grinding sound reached his ears, and he twisted his head awkwardly so he had a clear view of the door, which was currently swinging open.

A SandWing entered the cell, and Lupus recognized him as one of the dragons who'd been with The Saint when they were kidnapped.

"What do you want?" Lupus tried to ask, but the muzzle turned it into a wordless growl.

"Easy there," the other dragon ordered, holding a key in his hand loosely. "We don't tolerate insubordination 'round here."

Lupus said nothing in return, only glared at him.

"Feisty one, are you? Well, your spirit won't last long, not with the Saint running the show." The guard took a step into the cell, although he kept clear of Lupus. "The name's Meerkat, just to let you know."

Meerkat tucked the key into a small sack under his wing and eyed Lupus carefully. "I had the Saint give me permission to see you, cause there were some reports that you ain't a normal NightWing. You sure don't look like one, anyhow."

Just to see how his captor would react, Lupus carefully made his scales shift into a lighter shade of black.

As he'd anticipated, Meerkat leaned forwards, his eyes wide. "Well, well, well," he murmured. "What have we here?"

Lupus smiled grimly through his muzzle, and flicked his tail up to bash the older SandWing over the head with it. Meerkat crumpled, although he wasn't unconscious, only stunned.

Where's the key? Lupus wondered frantically, pawing the body with his free leg. He finally found it, underneath Meerkat's wing.

It took time for him to be able to even pick the key up, and once he did have it, he wasn't even sure how to use it. Lupus's only free appendages were his leg and tail, and both were equally useless when it came to handling any small items.