Drabble Challange: Dallon Weekes x Reader

Start from the beginning

Supressing a sigh, you leant against the door frame, and watched him. The melody he was playing was enchanting, like a day in spring that was spent lying in the soft flowers of a meadow, somewhere far away from the troubles of the world.

He hummed quietly along, clearly already knowing the words that belonged to the melody. You wondered what he was singing, or rather humming, about. It sounded like a love song of sorts, but not the sarcastic, bitter kind he always used to write, more like the slightly broken, despaired kind of song. Taking in his appearance you wondered if someone had broken his heart. Obviously a stupid person, because they had to be, if they had hurt him.

You ignored the jealousy in your chest, and instead watched strands of his brown hair dangle into his forehead, covering his still closed eyes. He was dressed in a walnut-brown sweater, blue jeans and socks, his shoes discarded to the side, under the coffee table. He looked soft and cosy, dressed like this, and you wondered if he was as warm as he looked. It was a little bit of what you would call a guilty pleasure, to imagine yourself cuddled against his side, listening to his humming, or running your fingers through his fluffy hair. But as long as nobody knew about this, it did not hurt anyone. Except maybe you.

Without a warning the soft strumming and humming stopped, and you were, once again, ripped out of your thoughts. You expected Dallon to have discovered you, but instead his head was still hanging low.

He clapped his flat hand against the strings of the unplugged bass guitar, as if he was counting to start a song, and indeed, two slaps later, he started strumming. It was definitely the same song, but it sounded different, and you assumed it to be the intro. After a couple of bars, Dallon started singing.

It was quiet, his voice so silent that you barely understood the words that left his lips in a whisper, but you now were certain that he was singing about love. You watched him carefully. His eyes still closed, but his head lifted a little, allowing you to study the emotions on his face. He looked sad, pained, as if he had been betrayed, heart broken.

But when he reached the chorus, a smile tucked at his lips, his expression softened, and he almost looked happy. After the chorus a short instrumental part followed, and he strummed the first notes of the second verse, but no words left his mouth. Instead he let his head fall back down, and his fingers stopped moving. It almost looked as if he had fallen asleep, but then he groaned quietly, making you furrow your brows.

"Come on, Dallon. How the hell do you plan on singing this to (y/n) if you can't even remember the lyrics."

You stood in the door frame and blinked confused. Had you understood this correctly? Had he just mentioned singing a song for you, a love song at that?

Over the hammering heart in your throat you completely missed how Dallon suddenly let out a triumphant sound, and continued playing, having remembered the second part of the song again.

You just stood in the entryway and blinked helplessly into the room. It took you another couple of moments until you eventually focused back on the scene before you. Dallon had reached the end of the second chorus and was trying out different variations for an instrumental break, but he seemed unhappy with whatever he came up with.

Eventually he groaned, and bent down, resting his forehead against the instrument. He sat like that for a few seconds, before he reached a hand into the brown fluff of hair on his head, and brushed it out of his forehead, then he sat up.

It took his eyes a second to adapt to the light around him, but his eyes immediately found the person who stood in the door, leaning against the doorframe, hands tucked into the pockets of their trousers, a gentle look in their eyes as they followed each one of his movements. Involuntarily he flinched, before he recognized it was you.