thirteen | the basketball game

t h i r t e e n ::

t h i r t e e n
::

hae hadn't seen yoongi for a few days, she hadn't told maryam about what she had seen either. she wasn't sure if he was talking about maryam but thinking about it, who else could he have been talking about?

"shall we go to the park today?" maryam asked as she and hae exited the school building. hae  nodded and they both made their way to the other end of the school, the pathway to the park.

"when are you going to tell me what baekhyun said to you?" hae asked for what seemed like the millionth time this week

"what are you gonna wear tomorrow?" maryam asked, ignoring hae's question as she kicked pebbles that lay in the middle of the path.

hae looked at her in confusion, what was happening tomorrow?

"uh—what's tomorrow?" she said slowly, maryam stopped walking, shaking her head in disbelief before slapping hae's head.

"it's laya's sleepover dumbass" she explained cheerfully.

hae's stomach clenched, she felt sick just thinking about the party but she was going for maryam's sake. maybe she'd have fun? after all, laya was really nice so she wasn't worried about being made fun of.

as soon as they approached the park, maryam was ready to turn around and just go home. yoongi, namjoon, hoseok, jin, and jimin were playing basketball on the courts while taehyung sat on the bench, watching. jungkook stood at the side, shirtless with his white t-shirt draped over his shoulders, taking swigs from his water bottle

"who cares about them" hae said, surprising herself as she raced for the swings. usually when one of them were stressed out, they'd go and swing on the swings, talk about things, unwind and destress.

they had seen the boys here on many occasions but they had never been noticed. those were the good old days, in a sense, when they had been going about their lives without having to worry about what others thought, without having to worry about who they were allowed to talk to and who they weren't.

"don't even look at them" hae whispered as maryam joined her on the swing set. they swung, talking to each other about random things as they did so.

"are you excit—ahhh" hae began but yelled when she felt someone push her swing from behind. she let her foot scrape along the wood chips at the bottom to stop herself before whipping around and coming face to face with a laughing jimin.

"that. was. not. funny" hae mumbled as she clutched her chest. maryam was laughing too and hoseok approached as well.

hae glanced towards the basketball court and saw that the boy's had stopped playing. namjoon and jin were sitting on the bench beside taehyung, scrolling through their phones. yoongi and jungkook were sitting on the basketball court bench, drenching themselves in water.