Chapter 53: One-derful

I smile seeing Maya stand at the end of the slide as she instructs Everleigh on how to hold Noah so they can both slide down together. When they both go down both girls cheer loudly making Noah laugh. Maya picks him up, throwing him in the air before catching him and peppering his face with kisses.

"Can we go again?" Everleigh asks jumping up and down. Maya laughs and nods. She places her son back on his feet and her little sister takes his hand gently leading him back up. "Careful on the stairs" she warns the 7 year old.

"I know" Evs rolls her eyes making Maya chuckle and shake her head in amusement.

"Well its certainly nice to see Maya smiling" Shawn breathes out leaning against the bench. After everything that went down a few days ago we came down to Philly a day early just to get away from the city and enjoy the outdoors. However tomorrow is Noah's birthday and Maya has had about 7 meltdowns. 4 yesterday and 3 this morning.

She's having a hard time knowing that our son is officially going to be turning 1 tomorrow. She doesn't want to accept the fact that he is growing up and I completely get where she's coming from but there's also nothing I can do about it. Except keep Maya busy, which is why we're at the park.

"You have no idea" I mumble keeping my eyes on her. "I just hope she won't end up crying the entire day tomorrow" he chuckles "I can guarantee you that she'll cry at some point" I nod with a grin.

"I'm guessing when we wake up, when we'll do the cake and when we go back to bed."

"Yep, that sounds about right" he laughs softly.

Our conversation ends and we stumble into a comfortable silence. The two of us happily watching the three play.

"Hey I've never really told you this mostly because I'm not really over you knocking up my daughter," he starts breaking the silence and making bite down on my lip. "But thank you for not leaving Maya's side through all of this" I smile and glance back at him.

"I'd never leave Maya or Noah" I murmur looking back at my family. "They're my family, I love them way too much to even consider walking away."

He let's out a breath "Some don't feel that love and because they don't feel it, they walk away. You feel it because you care about them, you're aware of what they mean to you. You're a good person Josh make sure you never change."

I pull him into a much needed hug, "Thank you Shawn, that means a lot to me." He pats my back and pulls away "I know I messed up by getting her pregnant which in turn made her have to deal with one of the hardest things ever but I'm glad you still think well of me."

"Yeah well everytime I look at that little boy I get this feeling that he was meant to be here." He admits. "Its his eyes isn't it?" I question making him nod.

"Those stinking big blue eyes man" he chuckles "They hypnotise you."

"That's exactly why I fell for Maya, her eyes, and now he's got the exact same ones. I'm trapped" he laughs and shakes his head in amusement.

"I guess because of him instead of forgiving you I'm going to thanking you," I raise my brows in surprise. "Because you we're a stupid hormonal teenager and clearly beyond irresponsible at the time-" I roll my eyes "You gave me the best grandson I could ask for, so thank you."

I smile "You're welcome" I grin. "Don't take this moment for granted" he warns me. "Trust me I'm not" I chuckle "I'm cherishing it. I never in my life ever thought you'd say those words to me."

"Daddy!" We both look up at the 7 year old rushing to her father with the biggest smile I've ever seen. "Maya said we can go get some ice cream!" I chuckle shifting my gaze towards my girlfriend who's walking behind Noah, her eyes glue to him in case he falls.