Chapter 48: Haircut

"You okay Riles?" Josh asks as soon as we walk through the front door. I spent a few hours trying to console my best friend. It hurt me to see her like this. Riley is my happy ball of sunshine, seeing her broken and inconsolable was hard but I did my best to be there for her. When I suggested that we have a sleepover since I had no intentions of leaving her, she insisted we go over to mine. She didn't want her parents seeing her like this so as she packed her bag I went down to the living room where they were watching TV and told them she was coming with me to Philly tomorrow and spending the night. Obviously they were fine with it.

She shakes her head and throws herself at him burying her face in his chest as he holds onto her. My heart breaks even more at the sight of them. "What happened?" Josh mouths but I shake my head "I'll tell you later" I mouth back. He nods and let's out a sigh, "I love you niece you know that?" He says sweetly as he rubs his hand up and down her back. She just nods against him. He leans down kissing the top of her head.

When I hear Noah I tear my gaze away from the two and grin when I see my sweet baby boy walking towards me. "Look at you, you're getting so much better at walking" I gush as I keel down with my arms open. When he first learned to walk he was very wobbly. He didn't have a very good balance but after a few weeks he finally started getting the hang of it.

"Hey Pumpkin" I smile when he reaches me. I pick him up and kiss his cheek. "Were you a good boy for daddy?" I ask pushing his hair back. Instead of answering me he just points to Riley. "You want to say hi to Aunty Riley?" He waves his hand and whimpers. Taking that as a yes I approach my best friend and boyfriend.

"Hey honey?" I say softly "Noah wants to say hi" pulling away from Josh, she lifts a hand to wipe her tears before smiling as she looks at her cousin in my arms. "Hi Pumpkin" he leans towards her with his arms stretched out showing off that he wants to go to her. She takes his from my arms and giggles when he pokes her cheek.

He mumbles a bunch of incoherent words making Riley nod along to whatever he's trying to say. Suddenly remembering that he has a toy in his other hand he starts laughing on his own. I smile seeing how he managed to make Riley smile and laugh as well, something I've been struggling to do for the past few hours, he managed within a few minutes.

"How about we put on a movie and I'll order some junk food?" Josh suggest with a soft smile as he makes his way over to me. "We can all snuggle on the couch and watch a comedy" he adds. "That sounds good" Riley agrees "Thank you Uncle Josh" he waves her off "Anything for family."

She heads off to the living room with Noah and I stay back to talk to Josh. "What happened?" He asks worriedly "I sigh and run my fingers through my hair "I can really tell you everything right now but its because of Lucas" he furrows his brows "Did they break up?"

"Its complicated, I'll tell you the story later" he sighs and nods "Okay."

"If you order food get some McDonald's" he chuckles "Of course baby. I love you" I smile "I love you too" I say happily and lean up to kiss him.

~🍼~

During the rest of the night we're all cuddled on the couch, stuffing our faces with food as we watch the office. Noah is in between Riley and I as I occasionally give him a few spoons of my McFlurry whilst he also holds a fry in one hand. The tv show isn't really for him but it's not like he's watching it, he's more interested in the toys we have laid out on top of the blanket.

Riley seems to be doing much better and for that I'm really grateful. We've been through a lot together and I would never want her to think that just because I am a mother now I'm not going to be there for her. She'll always be my best friend no matter what and I will be there for her as much as I possibly can.